St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
September 24, 2015
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information
Attachments in this Issue:
- 1:00PM early dismissal this Friday, September 25 for the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia. There will be limited or no bussing available Friday afternoon. Please contact your local district for more information. We encourage you to check out the wonderful resources available on the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops website to prepare your family for the Pope’s visit to our country! http://www.usccb.org
- Spirit Day this Friday, September 25!
- All students in grades K-8 will go to school Mass every Tuesday, unless otherwise noted on the online school calendar. Middle school boys in grades 6-8 are required to wear their uniform ties on Mass and Benediction days only until October 5.
From the Office:
- Protecting God’s Children sessions will be offered at the following locations this fall. Sessions are also offered throughout Columbus. To register, visit virtus.org. Attendance at a Protecting God’s Children session is required for all school volunteers.
- John in Logan this Saturday, September 26
- Seton Parish in Pickerington on Saturday, October 3
- John XXIII in Canal Winchester on Saturday, October 17
- Catholic Schools Week will be celebrated October 5-9! Each day of the week we’ll have a special theme and activities planned for the students. The schedule of activities will be as follows:
- Monday, October 5 – Caring Cards Day! Students will have a casual day and should wear a shirt of their favorite team sports. Students will make cards for community members with their school buddies during the school day.
- Tuesday, October 6 – Colors of God Day! Students will have a casual day. Middle school students should wear their House shirts and students in grades K-5 may wear a shirt of their favorite color. Middle school Houses will have their annual poster contest.
- Wednesday, October 7 – Souper Mix-up Mismatch Day! Students will have a casual day and should dress mismatched. Students should bring a can of soup or a nonperishable food item for St. Vincent de Paul.
- Thursday, October 8 – Spirit Day! Students will dress in regular Spirit Day wear. We will pray a whole school rosary during the school day.
- Friday, October 9 – WEAR UNIFORMS. All students in grades K-8 will travel to Fisher Catholic High School for an all Deanery Catholic Schools Mass with Bishop Campbell. Bus transportation will be provided to Fisher for all students and students will be chaperoned by teachers and staff. Parents are welcome to attend the Mass. Mass begins at 10:00am. A field trip permission slip will be sent home with every child in grades K-8 today.
Please remember to send an excuse note to the office after your child has missed school and contact the school office, 740-654-1632, if your child will not be at school for any reason.
Home and School:
- Our next meeting will be Thursday, October 1 at 7:00pm in the school copy room. ALL PARENTS of Preschool-8th grade students ARE WELCOME!
- The Holiday Happening planning meeting scheduled for this evening is CANCELLED.
- Holiday Happening Raffle! It is that time of year again! Tickets will be distributed to students next Wednesday. Help the students plan their strategy for selling raffle tickets to support St. Mary School. Grand Prize is $1000 for the winning ticket. Students have many opportunities to win gift cards throughout the raffle with our weekly drawings. Last year the students collected $14,568 in raffle ticket sales! Our goal this year is $15,000! Get ready to sell, sell, sell!
- Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month. Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the Copy Room. Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00am, and Friday after school from 2:15-3:00pm. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community. Log in, and click on “my account.” If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards.” Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! St. Mary earns money and so do you!
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
From the Cafeteria:
- Your family may qualify for free or reduced lunch prices! All information is kept strictly confidential. Please contact the school office for an application at 740-654-1632.
- The Café needs your help! We are looking for donations of 9oz plastic cups for the students use at lunch. Please bring your donations to the school office. Thank you for your help and support!
From Our Parish:
- Love Is Our Mission: A Call to Live the Joy and Mission of Marriage & Family Life. All are invited to one of these four gatherings as The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell discusses the recent World Meeting of Families. Come and discover how you can answer Pope Francis’ call to become a family fully alive! For more information visit colsdioc.org or call 614-241-2560.
- Monday, October 12th, 7:00 PM, Ohio Dominican University
- Wednesday, October 21st, 7:00 PM, St. Francis DeSales, Newark
- Saturday, October 31st, 10:30 AM, St. Peter, Chillicothe
- Tuesday, November 10th, 7:00 PM, Bishop Ready High School
- Sandwich Saturday begins September 26 in the St. Mary Spirit Center at 8:00am. Next gathering will be October 24. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. If you have any questions please call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870.
- St. Mary Parish is pleased to offer a special adult faith education and enrichment series presented by Fr. Ignatius Harrington, a Catholic priest who serves as pastor of two Melkite Greek-Catholic parishes within the diocese. The first two sessions will be held in our Spirit Center and the Divine Liturgy will be prayed in Church. Time: 7:00pm, Dates: Thursdays, October 8, 22, 29. Contact Brian McCauley at the parish office at 740-653-5054 with any questions.
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith. But how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (10/11, 10/25, 12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- First annual St. Bernadette Ocktoberfest Friday, October 2 from 5:00-11:00pm!
- Fisher Catholic Chili Cook Off and Powder Puff Football Game Sunday, October 18! Cook off 1:00-3:00pm, Powder Puff game 3:15-4:00pm. First 10 entries will be accepted into the cook off! Football games will be on, concessions will be open, and a corn hole tournament will be sponsored by Student Council. Email Kellie Shonk at email@example.com to enter the chili cook off or the corn hole tournament! This event is meant to be a kick off for Homecoming Week and a fun, community building event. This is not a major fundraiser! The funds that are raised will go to the Athletic Department. Please come and join us for a fun day to help build some school spirit for Homecoming Week!
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
- Love horses? Want to learn to ride? Horseback riding lessons and equestrian education offered at Mr. and Mrs. Foura’s stables, conveniently located at 267 Rainbow Drive NE, Lancaster. Gentle horses and a very knowledgeable, experienced instructor. Lessons are $40.00 for one hour and $30.00 for one-half hour. Training for your horse also available. Please call 740-654-1367 with questions or to schedule.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.