St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
September 15, 2016
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- Tuition payments due are due today!
- This Sunday, September 18 – Sacramental Prep meeting for the parents of all children who will be making sacraments at St. Mary Parish this year, 10:00-11:00am in the Spirit Center.
- This Sunday, September 18 – St. Mary Parish Picnic beginning at 12:30 pm (see the Parish News section below for more information)!
- Monday, September 19 – K-8 Picture Day! (Rescheduled from last Friday)Please dress nicely for picture day (follow the casual day policy) or wear your school uniform. Preschool pictures will take place at the end of October.
- Next Thursday, September 22 – Interim reports posted on School Speak.
- Next Friday, September 23 – Spirit Day!
- Catholic Schools Week is coming up September 26-30! Our theme for the week’s activities will be “Caring for God’s Creation,” which is the first focus of our Catholic Identity goal for accreditation and is also a reflection of the encyclical from Pope Francis titled “Laudato Si: On Care for our Common Home.” Each day, the students and staff will learn more about the conservation of and care for our natural resources. We’ll have casual days on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday with a different theme for each day. On Thursday we will host a Mass for all of our Deanery schools here at St. Mary Parish and all are invited to join us! Our daily activities are listed on our online school calendar!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Please make sure that your phone number(s) and email addresses are updated in School Speak TODAY, as we use this database for our emergency call system.
- Information about our participation in the STAR Reading and STAR Math programs for grades K-8 will be sent home with the youngest/only child in each family today. We have also upgraded to the Accelerated Reader Home Connect program this year. Mrs. Corcoran sent more information home about AR Home Connect in your child’s book bag.
- As the cooler weather approaches, please make sure your child has his/her name in their school fleece, sweaters, sweatshirts, and/or jackets so we can make sure they get returned to right owner!
- Class field trips are now being posted on our online school calendar for our school community!
- Save your Campbells Soup Labels and Box Tops for Education! Send in your soup labels to Mrs. Novena, and your Box Tops for Education to Mrs. Lipp. Our school earns money for collecting and submitting these coupons, which we use to enhance the educational materials for your students!
Home and School:
- Please review the list of volunteer opportunities on our school website under the “Parents” tab. Sign up is easy with our “Sign up Genius” link! We cannot do anything without our awesome volunteers, especially our school parents and grandparents!!
- Holiday Happening planning meeting this evening! Please join us at 7 p.m. in the copy room.
- We are no longer collecting ink cartridges for recycling. Please do not send any more to the school. Thank you!
- Need a Spirit Shirt? Stop by the office and purchase any shirt we have on hand or see what’s available by visiting the school website (go to Parents then St. Mary Spirit Store). Send payment (cash or check made out to SMHS Spirit Store) and order form in an envelope marked “Spirit Store.” Shirts will be delivered to students. Any questions, please email Paula Maier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Purchase a card with SIX buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Please support our school by ordering meals through Schwan’s! They deliver right to your door! Use this link to place your order: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/27129-saint-mary-school-e2-enlighten-and-enrichment.
- Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount will go towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day pass for your child the following month. SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the Copy Room. Send your order in ahead of time with your child or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00 am, and/or Fridays 2:15-3:00 pm. Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689 with questions, or email: email@example.com.
Preschool and Kids CARE:
- We are so excited to include Preschool in our Students of the Month program this year! Each month, one of our preschoolers will be selected as a St. Mary Student of the Month along with one student from each class, grades K-8. Our preschool Student of the Month will get to help with morning announcements and enjoy a pancake breakfast, just like the big kids! Many thanks to last year’s K-8 Students of the Month who asked Mrs. Schornack to please include preschool this year! 🙂
From the Cafeteria:
- Our cafeteria is in need of volunteers to help serve lunch! Volunteers must have Protecting God’s Children and a background check.
- St. Mary Parish Picnic Sunday, September 18 from 12:30-3:00 pm. Please join us for food, fellowship, and festivities! Bring a dish to share with a serving spoon according your last name (see the parish bulletin for the list).
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be September 24 at 8:00 am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations of bologna, cheese slices and bread are always welcome (we have enough baggies). Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- St. Mary’s Cub Scout Pack is kicking off the new school year and enrollment is open to any 1st through 5th grade boy that is interested. This year we will be camping, fishing, racing model cars and building boats! It is a great program to teach young boys leadership, cooperation and compassion while having fun. If you are interested, please contract Justin Pike at 740-438-1733.
- The Fisher Catholic Cheerleaders are selling Irish apparel to help raise money for new uniforms. Please help support the cheerleaders by placing your order today! Mail order forms and money to Fisher Catholic 1803 Granville Pike Lancaster, OH 43130, attn: Erin Hesterman. Make all checks payable to Fisher Catholic. All orders must be received by September 16th. Please contact coach Erin Hesterman at firstname.lastname@example.org you have any questions. Thanks so much for all your support! Go Irish! *\o/*
- Time for McDonald’s High School Team Challenge! Vote at HighSchoolTeamChallenge.com *Schools with the most votes will win McDonald’s Activities Grants to offset activities fees or related expenses! 1st Place: $10,000 2nd Place: $5,000 3rd Place: $2,500 Voting Starts September 19th. ** Fisher Catholic won the 1st place prize a couple years ago – Let’s support our High School! We can do this!
- Fairfield County Fair Workers – Please visit this SignUp Genius site to assist Fisher Catholic with this fundraiser. Fisher Catholic supplies volunteers at each gate to simply take tickets – no selling is involved! This is easy work for which we are paid by the Fairfield County Fair Board.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.