St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
May 11, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Links/Attachments in this Issue:
- Final tuition payments for the current school year were due in April unless you had made other arrangements with the principal. Interim reports, final progress reports, and 8th grade diplomas will not be released to those whose accounts are in arrears, per school policy.
- TODAY – Grandparents Day & May Crowning!
- Preschool Grandparent Tea 9:30-10:30 AM in the Spirit Center
- K-8 Grandparent Reception in the school gym, doors to the main building open at 12:15 PM ~ THERE WILL BE NO LUNCH SERVED THIS YEAR BUT THERE WILL BE SNACKS FOR DONATION/SALE DURING THE RECEPTION, PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT FOR MORE DETAILS
- May Crowning 1:45 PM in the church
- Next Tuesday, May 16 – Spring Concert 6:30 PM in the gym (our preschoolers will be featured as our opening act, followed by musical performances by our Band and our Choir ~ please join us!)
- Next Thursday, May 18 – Athletic Awards night for middle school 6:30 PM in the gym
- Next Friday, May 19 – SPIRIT DAY! Last day for preschool classes!
- Thursday, May 25 – Last day of school for grades K-8! 1:00 PM EARLY DISMISSAL ~ SPIRIT DAY! Honors Assembly at 12:15 PM in the gym (parents are welcome to attend), 8th grade graduation Mass 7:00 PM
- Please visit our school Google calendar for all of our school activities and field trips this spring!
From the Principal’s Office:
- As we come to the end of teacher and staff appreciation week at St. Mary, we would like to extend a very special note of gratitude to all who work at and for our school! St. Mary is so blessed to have dedicated staff members who believe in the importance of Catholic education and who choose to answer the calling to serve in this vocation every day. To our classroom and specials teachers, our preschool and Kids CARE staff, our office and nursing staff, our cafeteria and maintenance staff, and our aides, THANK YOU!!
- Summer Solutions Prevent summer learning loss with Summer Solutions workbooks. Summer Solutions provides the necessary review and practice that allows students to retain important math and language arts skills, not only over the summer break, but also for a lifetime. Available for Children Pre-K through Grade 8. Use the school code on the attached flyer and save shipping fees! Order received before May 14 will be shipped to St Mary for pick-up. Books are $14.99 each.
- A big THANK YOU to all who helped in any way with our production of Annie, Jr! We have already started planning for next year’s musical adventure! Please watch for information about how our parents/grandparents and even extended family members can get in on the fun next year! If your child was given any costume pieces please have them return the items to Mrs. Walsh.
- Buy gift cards through SCRIP and a portion of the card amount goes to your tuition! Volunteer needed to help with SCRIP this summer and for the upcoming school year. Contact Randi Anderson (740) 407-7870 for information.
- Support St. Mary School any time/any place you shop online through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Six buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Schwan’s Campaign Number for St. Mary School is 32113. Order Schwan’s at https://www.schwans-cares.com and a portion of the sales come back to fund field trips, COSI on Wheels, and enrichment programs.
- It’s time for our annual BOGO [Buy One Get One FREE] Book Fair! The fair will be held in the library Thursday, May 11-Thursday, May 18. Every item purchased is eligible for a free item of equal or lesser value. The fair will be open for students to shop during their regular library time, after school on Thursday, 5/11 [Grandparents’ Day], and on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, May 15, 17 and 18. We will also be open prior to the Spring Concert on Tuesday evening, 5/16.
This week we have had visitors from the Lancaster Branch of the Fairfield County Library to explain the 2017 summer reading program ~ Build a Better World! Students may sign up for the program at any library branch beginning May 24. Please encourage your child to read at least 20 minutes a day during the summer. Students in next year’s 7th and 8th grade classes interested in being a part of the Battle of the Books Team may check out books from the St. Mary Library in the last week of school.
We are preparing for our end of year AR PARTY for those students who have reached or exceeded their reading goal for the year. Each month during the school year students were reminded of the short term goal for that month, as well as the goal for the end of the year. This year it looks like we will have about a 40% increase in the number of students who have earned an invitation to the party! The last day for AR quizzes to be counted towards this year’s goal is Thursday, May 18. Some students are very close! Hopefully they will also earn a place in the gym to spend the afternoon with our very special surprise guest. A huge THANK YOU to the Home & School Association for again giving us the funds to reward our star readers!!
Please have your child check bookshelves at home, under beds, in closets, and any other places a library book might ‘hide.’ We’d love to have 100% of our books returned before summer break.
Mrs. Walsh has chosen a number of new, recently published books for our library, both fiction and non-fiction. If you are interested in donating a book, please send in $5.00 to the attention of the St. Mary Library. A bookplate will be placed inside one of our new books, indicating that your family has donated it. If you would like to choose the book yourself, please feel free to email Mrs. Walsh [mwalsh@saintmarylancaster] and she will set up a time for you to come in to view the books. Thank you for helping us to ‘refresh’ our library inventory!
From the Parish:
- Mark your calendars for this summer’s Catholic Kidz Camp (“Tracking Mary; Mysteries and Messages”) August 7-11 from 6:00 PM-8:30 PM for preschool-6th grade age children. See the attachment for more information.
- Sandwich Saturday May 20 at 8:00 AM in the Spirit Center! This will be the last one of the 2016-2017 school year. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry! Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Our parish will offer an 8 week Scripture study on Jeff Cavins DVD series of St. Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians on Thursdays from June 8-August 3, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM in the Spirit Center. Registration forms available in the vestibules of the church and on the parish website. Please register by May 24. Contact Brian McCauley with questions.
- FISHER CATHOLIC MANDATORY CHEER CLINIC June 12-16 from 5-7PM. This clinic is mandatory for anyone entering grades 9-12 who is interested in cheering for FOOTBALL AND/OR BASKETBALL for the 2017-2018 school year. Please contact Erin Hesterman 740-438-0719 or Katie Gillium 740-215-3779 with any questions.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.