St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
April 6, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Links/Attachments in this Issue:
Information about “Annie” costumes
- Today – Home and School Meeting 7:00PM in the copy room
- Tomorrow, Friday, April 7 – Living Stations of the Cross presented by our 8th graders at 9:00 AM (staff and students will attend) and 7:00 PM in the church
- Saturday, April 8 – Uniform Exchange 10:00AM-1:00PM in the school gym
- Sunday, April 9 – Uniform Exchange 9:30AM-1:00PM in the school gym
- Wednesday, April 12 – Preschool picture day and whole class pictures (K-8 students wear uniforms – order forms will be sent home with your child)
- Thursday, April 13 – Flower orders due! All proceeds go to our tuition assistance fund courtesy of our St. Mary Teacher Association!
- Saturday, April 15 – Final tuition payments for the current school year due (unless you have made other arrangements through the principal)
- Friday, April 14 and Monday, April 17 – No school (Easter break)
- Please visit our school Google calendar for all of our school activities this spring!
From the Principal’s Office:
- We are honored to share that our middle school choir has been invited to sing the National Anthem at the State of the County Address on Tuesday, April 25! Thank you to Mrs. Silleck for the wonderful work she does with our choir!
- Our middle school Spring Musical “Annie” will be performed on Wednesday, April 26 and Friday, April 28 at 7:00PM. All middle school students will be starring in our production and we look forward to seeing you there! Middle school parents/students, please see the attachment from Mrs. Walsh for details about costumes! We are in need of some props and set pieces – please see the announcement below for more information.
- St. Mary Teacher Association Spring Flower Sale! Orders will be taken until April 13. All proceeds from the Flower Sale go directly to St. Mary School tuition assistance! See the attachment for information and an order form.
- Mark your calendars for our St. Mary Preschool Spring Craft and Vendor Fair Saturday, May 6, 9:00AM-2:00PM! Join us for shopping in support of our preschool! Vendors are welcome! See the attachments for information, including a vendor form.
- Purchase gift cards from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount goes towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day for your child the following month. SCRIP is looking for a new volunteer for help this summer and for the upcoming school year. Please contact Randi Anderson (740) 407-7870 for more information.
- Support St. Mary School any time/any place you shop online through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Six buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- New Schwan’s Campaign Number for St. Mary School is 32113! Order Schwan’s Home Food Service and a portion of the sales will come back to fund class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. Place your order today at https://www.schwans-cares.com.
- Our 6th, 7th and 8th grade students are busy singing, dancing, running lines, and getting ready for this year’s spring musical. Annie, Jr. will be performed on Wednesday, April 26th and Friday, April 28th at 7:00PM in the school gymnasium. The ‘Broadway Junior’ series offers a shortened version of the full musical, giving students the opportunity to practice performance skills while enjoying many of the songs with which audiences are familiar. As we work to recreate 1933 New York in the midst of the depression, there are some items that would help to enhance our set. We would greatly appreciate it if you would check attics, basements and storage sheds for any of the following pieces:
- Victorian style furniture for the Warbucks mansion, in particular,
- a small sofa or loveseat
- a chair
- a table to use as Warbuck’s desk
- a small side table with a plant or fern
- Fancy drapes or fabric for the Warbucks living room.
- An old-fashioned wheelchair for President Roosevelt (or a chair that can be refashioned with wheels to give us the same effect).
- Foam or carpet padding, and white muslin or old sheets to fashion beds for the orphanage on our wooden risers.
- A small, old looking desk for Miss Hannigan’s office.
- Metal garbage cans for the street scene.
- An old fashioned radio
- Rolling laundry hamper
- Dog costume (for Sandy)
- 1930’s style hats, gloves, purses
If you are able to donate any of these items for our show, please email Mrs. Walsh ~ email@example.com. We will return borrowed items when the show is completed.
IMPORTANT: We will be using many of the scenery pieces that were used for the recent production at Fisher Catholic, which were designed to accommodate both shows. Thank you to Bryan Callahan and Dan Rayburn for getting the pieces over to the St. Mary stage. If there are any parents/grandparents who can help to put the scenery pieces back together within the next week, please contact Mrs. Walsh asap. Thank you for helping us to continue our tradition of excellence in the arts!
- Computer Club will be meeting April 18, May 2, and May 16.
- News from our Library – Each month we read books written and/or illustrated by authors who have a birthday in that month. Back in September we read books by Tomie DePaola and the students made birthday cards for him, which we mailed to his home in New Hampshire. Just before spring break we received a letter and picture postcards from Tomie DePaola. His letter:
Monday, March 20, 2017 (Happy First Day of Spring!)
Dear friends at St. Mary School,
Thank you for the awesome birthday cards. I’m glad that you like my books. My favorite characters in my books are Strega Nona, and ME (sometimes written as “Tommy” and sometimes as “Tomie”). My favorite book of my own is NANA UPSTAIRS & NANA DOWNSTAIRS. I’m 82, and I’m working hard every day on new projects. My second favorite holiday is MY BIRTHDAY – September 15th! My first is Christmas. I’ve written and/or illustrated over 260 books. My newest book is STEPPIN’ OUT: JAUNTY RHYMES FOR PLAYFUL TIMES, by Lin Oliver. We had 20 inches of snow on Tuesday. Oh boy! I hope that you’re having a good day. Thanks for writing.
- We welcome your interest in becoming a member of the St. Mary School Advisory Board. Terms are for a period of three years, and begin with the June meeting following the election. To be considered eligible, candidates must be a St. Mary Parish member or the parent of a child attending Saint Mary School (grades K-8). Interested individuals are asked to complete the application, available on the school website or in the school or parish offices, and submit it via email to Holly Uhl or to either the school or parish office by April 17, 2017.
- Sixth Grade Spring Fling this Saturday, April 8 at 7:00-9:00PM in the Spirit Center for St. Mary, St. John, Holy Trinity, and St. Rose sixth graders! Dancing, games, fellowship, and fun! School approved casual day clothing, please. Contact Kellie Boyden at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Knights of Columbus Council 1016 Fish Fry, Fridays during Lent and the Friday after Easter, 4:30-7:30PM. Adults $8.00 and children $6.00.
- Mark your calendars for the 36th Annual Fisher Catholic Bid O’Luck Dinner Auction, April 29. This year’s theme is Moonlit Masquerade. Join us for a gourmet meal prepared by Cheers & Lakeside Chalet, a full selection of beverages, and fabulous items in the Silent and Grand Auctions. Raffle tickets will be available to win the Pot-of-Gold prizes (one $7,500 and five $500 payouts). For more information, contact Kellie Shonk at email@example.com, 740-654-1231, or visit www.fishercatholic.org/bid-o-luck.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.