Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- Is your tuition account up to date? A reminder that final tuition payments for the current school year are due this Friday, April 15, unless you have made other arrangements with Mrs. Schornack.
- This Saturday, April 16 – First Holy Communion rehearsal at 9:00 am, for all those making this sacrament at St. Mary of the Assumption.
- This Sunday, April 17 – First Holy Communion at the 11:15 am Mass for St. Mary of the Assumption Parish.
- Next Wednesday, April 20 – 5th grade leaves for outdoor education camp at Pilgrim Hills with the 5th grade from St. Bernadette School!
- Wednesday, April 27 – “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” St. Mary School musical 7:00 pm in the school gym ~ Please join us!
- Thursday, April 28 – “K for a Day” visit morning! Our St. Mary Preschool and prospective incoming Kindergarteners will visit Mrs. Clouse and her class for the morning! Information will be sent home to our current preschool parents and all those who are registered for Kindergarten next year. Please call the school office if your child isn’t registered for Kindergarten and you would like information!
- Our grandparent visit day will be Thursday, May 12 this year. Students in grades K-8 may welcome grandparents to join them for lunch that day. We will provide a schedule for the visit and the lunch. An RSVP form (one per family) with more information will be sent home with the youngest and only child in each family today. Please return these by April 28!
From the Principal’s Office:
- The faculty and I are THRILLED to share some exciting announcements with our school community about the upcoming school year! More information about these announcements will be emailed to our current parents through School Speak, and emailed to our incoming new families!
- Our big summer project this year will be creating “lobbies” in both of our school buildings, thanks to the support of our parish, by enclosing the areas inside the main building entrance on Chestnut Street, and both the front and back areas inside the entrances of the primary building. During this process, we are also going to work on connecting a buzzer system on the primary building to the main office.
- The faculty has been working diligently over the past three months to build the framework for three exciting changes to our middle school!
- We are going to establish Math classes for grades 6-8 that will be leveled in order to allow our middle school students to move through the curriculum at their pace. This will begin next year! More details will be announced in the coming weeks.
- We are going to offer our first electives to our students in grades 6-8 next year! Students will have the opportunity to take 4 electives over the course of the year (1 elective per quarter). Details will be announced in the coming weeks!
- We are creating an outline of class descriptions for grades 6-8 that coincides with our Diocesan curriculum. Starting next year, middle school student schedules and elements of School Speak will show titles of classes that are reflective of the themes and domains in our curricular standards (7th grade Social Studies, for example, may be titled “World Studies 750BC-1600AD,” as this is the primary focus of the curriculum).
- Next year, our K-8 students will be going to lunch before recess. This is based on feedback from our annual parent survey about increasing our school lunch sales. We hope that a schedule change will give our students a bit more time to go through the lunch line and eat their lunches!
- We’re expanding our preschool to include the new afternoon session, which we announced earlier this year. With this new session of preschool, we’ll be making the entire first floor of the primary building our early childhood floor and moving our Kindergarten up to the book room (across from third grade) on the second floor of the primary building.
- Our faculty members attended a Response to Intervention and Instruction (RTI) training this year and have been researching and discussing best practices. We have developed our first St. Mary School RTI guidelines, process, and forms and we will begin using these with our students next year!
- Mary School has officially been named an approved provider of the Jon Peterson Scholarship by the Ohio Department of Education. This scholarship opportunity is available to students who have an IEP and will provide funding for their services.
- Our K-3 classrooms will have new wall-mounted projectors and new interactive SmartBoards next year, and our 4-5 classrooms will also have wall-mounted projectors installed over the summer! All of these items have been purchased with our state auxiliary funds.
- A reminder that the Jon Peterson Scholarship application deadline is this Friday, April 15!
- EdChoice Expansion Scholarships are still available to students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year! This scholarship pays up to $4,650.00 in school tuition. Your child will keep this scholarship all the way through 12th grade as long as your family continues to qualify! Contact the school office for renewal or new application forms.
Home and School:
- Mother and Son Kickball sponsored by our Home and School Association! May 1st from1:00-3:00 pm at St. Mark Church, 324 Gay St. Lancaster (Opportunity Center next to the church). Kickball, corn-hole, friends, and food for mothers and sons! Hot dogs, drinks, and other refreshments will be served. Cost is only $1.00 a person / $3.00 max per family. RSVP by sending an envelope with payment enclosed to the school office by Wednesday April 27. Please list the names of people who will be attending from your family on the envelope.
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for 6 buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- Our Home and School Association is accepting nominations for the positions of President, Vice President, and Secretary. These positions are open due simply to current officer terms ending.
- Pre-made school supply kits will not be offered for next year, however, our class supply lists will be shared with our school community soon so that parents can plan ahead.
- BIG NEWS FROM OUR HOME AND SCHOOL ASSOCIATION! WE’RE LAUNCHING OUR FIRST SCHWAN’S ORDERING CAMPAIGN! Delicious food items delivered RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR from Schwan’s! Order and our school earns money for E2 activities (like class field trips and COSI on Wheels)! This will be a pilot program running from April 24-June 8. Through Schwans-Cares.com, you can order from Schwan’s Home Delivery and help our organization meet its fundraising goals. There are over 350 food items to choose from. Food orders placed by June 8, 2016 will earn 20% and e-card sales will earn a profit of 40% for our school. Here are two ways to support us!
- Visit schwans-cares.com/c/27129
- Click “Shop to Give”
- (Select team member if applicable)
- Start shopping
ORDER BY PHONE:
- Call 1-855-870-7208
- Provide Campaign ID: 27129 (and Team Member ID if applicable)
- Place your order
- MORE BIG NEWS FROM HOME AND SCHOOL! ONLINE ORDERING FOR SCRIP WILL SOON BE AVAILABLE! Order your SCRIP gift cards, refill previously purchased gift cards, and earn your tuition credit while you’re on the go or without leaving home! Watch the Thursday Folder for more information! SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the school copy room. Click here for an order form or stop in Mondays 8:00 am-10:00 am, and Fridays after school 2:15pm-3:00pm to place your order. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Advisory Board:
- Seeking Advisory Board Candidates! The Saint Mary School Advisory Board will have three vacancies when the current term ends in June and we need enthusiastic candidates to fill those seats. Terms are for a period of three years beginning at the June meeting and all Saint Mary School parents (grades K-8) and Saint Mary Parish members are eligible to apply. Please visit our Advisory Board page (com/advisory-board) to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of the board and the election process. Applications can be downloaded from the school website or picked up in the school and parish offices. Deadline for applications is Monday, April 18. We welcome your interest and encourage you to seriously consider this opportunity to help support and shape our wonderful school community. If you have any questions, please contact Tom Crook at email@example.com.
- If you are a school parent who has completed the NASP training, has a background check and Protecting God’s Children, and you are interested in running our new Archery Club, please contact the school office. The Archery Club will be open to St. Mary students in grades 4-8 and will practice after school. Our goal is to get the club underway as soon as we have parent volunteers.
- Computer Club will be meeting April 26, May 10 and May 24 from 3:00-4:00pm in the computer lab. Students will be at the front door for pick-up at 4:00pm.
From Our Parish:
- DAY OF RECOLLECTION; LESSONS FROM WOMEN IN THE BIBLE. Saturday, April 30, St. Mary Spirit Center from 10:30am to 3:00pm. Presenter: Sister Louis Mary Passeri, O.P. Please call St. Mary Parish Office, 740-653-0997 to register. Registration on fee: $15.00 (lunch is included).
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be April 23 at 8:00 am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Fisher Catholic “Vintage Vegas “ Bid O’ Luck Saturday, April 30! Doors open at 5:30 pm. Silent auction followed by dinner and the grand auction. For more information contact Kellie Shonk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 740-654-1231.
- Love Horses? Want to learn to ride? Come have fun and experience an equestrian education at Twin Maples Stable. Horseback riding lessons starting soon. Contact Mrs. Foura, email@example.com, for information and scheduling.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesday.