Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- Today – Progress reports ~ Is your tuition account up to date? A reminder that per school policy, all accounts must be up to date in order for your child’s Progress Report to be released.
- Friday, April 1 – Last day to register for our new 6th grade Summer Math Academy. (See the “Classroom Announcements” section below for details.)
- Next Thursday, April 7 – Home and School meeting at 7:00 pm in the school copy room. All parents are welcome!
- Next Saturday, April 9 – Sixth grade Spring Fling! (See the “Community News” section for more information.)
- Order your 2015/2016 school yearbook for special early bird pricing of only $15.00 per book!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Alleluia, He has risen! Easter blessings from the St. Mary School staff!
- Congratulations to our 7th and 8th graders who competed at the District 8 Science Fair; Emma Albert (who earned a perfect score), Emma Martin, Katie Maynard, Sam Maynard, Caroline Osburn, Collin Rimkus, Anna Vanderbilt, and Bryson Vogel. Overall, 7 superior ratings were earned by our students, along with $475.00 in prize money and 4 subscriptions. These students did an excellent job of representing themselves and our school, and all their hard work is greatly appreciated! Good luck at State Science Day!
- Congratulations to our students who represented St. Mary School at the District Spelling Bee; Ava Albert, Asher Carr, Ellie Funk, Matthew McGonagle, and Brennan Quaintance. Thank you for your hard work and for representing our school so well! Congratulations to Matthew McGonagle who placed 6th overall in the District!
- Mary School recently became an approved provider of the Jon Peterson Scholarship. This scholarship opportunity is available to students who have an IEP. If your child has an IEP and you are interested in applying for the scholarship, please notify the school office. Please visit the ODE website at www.ode.state.oh.us and search for “Jon Peterson” to locate more information.
- EdChoice Expansion Scholarships are still available to students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year! This scholarship pays up to $4,650.00 in school tuition for the children of qualifying families. Your child will keep this scholarship all the way through 12th grade as long as your family continues to qualify! Contact the school office for renewal or new application forms.
- Summer lunch programs will be available in our area at several locations. To find a location near you call 1-866-3-HUNGRY (486479) or visit the link on our school website.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for 6 buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- For your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to email@example.com. Please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student with orders, and place the envelope in the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case, or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- Spring Flower Sale order forms are now available! All proceeds from the Flower Sale go towards our tuition assistance! Please support our efforts!
- It’s time to print your Kroger Community Rewards quarterly statement and send it in so it can be added to your SCRIP account. March 31st is the cut off for earning SCRIP tuition discount for the 2016-2017 school year. If you want a boost for your tuition credit for this year, place your SCRIP orders before the end of the month. SCRIP ordered after March 31st will go to your tuition discount for the 2017-2018 school year. SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the school copy room. Click here for an order form or stop in Mondays 8:00am-10:00am, and Fridays after school 2:15pm-3:00pm to place your order. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Advisory Board:
- Seeking Advisory Board Candidates! The Saint Mary School Advisory Board will have three vacancies when the current term ends in June and we need enthusiastic candidates to fill those seats. Terms are for a period of three years beginning at the June meeting and all Saint Mary School parents (grades K-8) and Saint Mary Parish members are eligible to apply. Please visit our Advisory Board page (com/advisory-board) to learn more about the roles and responsibilities of the board and the election process. Applications can be downloaded from the school website or picked up in the school and parish offices. Deadline for applications is Monday, April 18. We welcome your interest and encourage you to seriously consider this opportunity to help support and shape our wonderful school community. If you have any questions, please contact Tom Crook at email@example.com.
- We would like to start forming the club aspect of our archery program. If you are a school parent who has completed the NASP training, has a background check and Protecting God’s Children, and you are interested in running our new club, please contact the school office. The Archery Club will be open to St. Mary students in grades 4-8 and will practice after school. Our goal is to get the club underway in April.
- Computer Club will be meeting April 12, April 26, May 10 and May 24 from 3:00-4:00pm in the computer lab. Students will be at the front door for pick-up at 4:00pm.
- St. Mary Mission Bingo ~ Thank you to everyone for participating in our Mission Bingo 2016! Your generous donations raised $550.00 for Ilusion Latina, a service organization for neglected and abused children in Cusco, Peru. We are happy to help Liz Shumaker Paz, a St. Mary alumnus, who is involved with the Ilusion Latina project.
- 6th grade Summer Math Academy with Mrs. Funk! Students must be registered for St. Mary’s 6th grade for the 2016/2017 school year. Program will be offered online and at St. Mary. The cost to participate is only $12.00 for the purchase of a summer workbook. More information will be sent home to our 5th graders of St. Mary and St. Bernadette. Register by April 1 by calling the school office.
- Our middle school students are preparing our Spring Musical, “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” We will have an afternoon dress rehearsal during school hours on Wednesday, April 27th, and a 7:00pm performance the same day. John, Logan will be joining us for our dress rehearsal! Please join us, Wednesday, April 27 at 7:00pm!
- Preschool Spring Flea Market Sale May 7 from 10:00am-2:00pm. We’re reserving tables now for those who wish to sell their items ~ tools, clothes, housewares, crafts, Mary Kay, Thirty-one, etc. Each table is $20.00! Email Miss Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application!
From Our Parish:
- Attention 8th graders going into 9th grade; interested in attending the Steubenville Summer Youth Conference July 22-24? Registration and full payment of $195.00 due by April 11 (payment covers housing, programs, and 6 meals). Contact our Youth Minister, Alec Scheuer, at the parish office for more information.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders – a fun, casual dance and game night! We invited Holy Trinity and St. Rose School 6th graders to join us this year for a super fun 6th grade bash! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00pm-9:00pmin the St. Mary Spirit Center. Please contact Kellie Boyden at email@example.com or 740-687-5177 to help!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be April 23 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome! Mark your calendars for future dates; May 21. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Fisher Catholic “Vintage Vegas “ Bid O’ Luck Saturday, April 30! Doors open at 5:30 pm. Silent auction followed by dinner and the grand auction. For more information contact Kellie Shonk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 740-654-1231.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30