Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- Home and School meeting tonight at 7:00pm in the school copy room. All parents are welcome!
- Please join us for the Living Stations of the Cross presented by our St. Mary School 8th graders this Friday, March 4. The Living Stations will be presented at 9:00 am and 7:00 pm in the church.
- 1:00 pm early dismissal next Friday, March 11. The faculty will be attending a joint in-service with St. Bernadette.
- PLEASE RETURN YOUR TUITION AGREEMENT FORM FOR NEXT YEAR AND YOUR PARISH SUBSIDY FORM IF YOU ARE REGISTERED WITH ST. MARY PARISH.
- FACTS applications for tuition assistance are due by March 15! factstuitionaid.com
- EdChoice Expansion Scholarships available to students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year! Please contact the school office for renewal or new application forms.
- Preschool registration is now open! SPACE IS LIMITED! We will have 2 morning classes (3 day or 5 day), 2 afternoon classes (3 day or 5 day), and the option to attend all day for morning students, or stay for an extended class for afternoon students next year.
- Order your 2015/2016 school yearbook for special early bird pricing of only $15.00 per book! See the attached order form for more information.
- Are you on Facebook? So is St. Mary School! Look for St. Mary School-Official, “Like” us, and please give us a 5-star review!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Please keep our students in your prayers as many of them prepare to receive the Sacraments of First Penance and Confirmation in the coming weeks.
- A draft calendar for the 2016/2017 school year will be sent home with the youngest & only in each family today. Please check your child’s book bag.
- V2A (Vision to Action) Reconnect ~ Many thanks to the parishioners, school parents, Advisory Board members, and school staff who attended our V2A meeting last week! Attendance was light, however many great discussions took place and the Board members and I left with several lists of ideas for working on the goals remaining in our current five-year strategic plan, which include:
- Examining what other programs and opportunities can help families to better afford Catholic education at St. Mary and improving communication about these or making them more accessible. (i.e. free & reduced lunch, free or exchanged uniforms, school supplies, etc)
- Continuing to improve communication with families about tuition assistance, local and state scholarships, and per pupil cost.
- Helping families understand how parish subsidy is applied and how to be participating members of their parish in order to qualify for subsidy.
- Considering new or expanded opportunities for students to experience the Arts in education (band, choir, art, drama), and examining the possibility of forming a “Fine Arts Council” to provide more support for these departments/activities.
- Creating more sustainable school clubs for more enrichment activities for students.
- Forming our alumni database so that we can set a course for a more concentrated development effort in the future. (i.e. regular communication with alumni through a quarterly newsletter, an annual alumni event, etc)
- Continuing to strengthen the sense of relationships among our school families.
- Improving or revitalizing our current marketing efforts and employing new, cost-effective, marketing efforts.
Following our upcoming Advisory Board meetings, we will send home more information about these goals, our strategies, and how parents can get involved with our efforts!
- Lenten Penance Services in our Deanery are available to your family on the following dates:
Sunday, March 6 at St. Joseph in Circleville at 4:00 pm
Thursday, March 10 at St. Mary of the Assumption at 7:00 pm
Sunday, March 13 at St. Bernadette at 3:00 pm
Tuesday, March 15 at St. Joseph in Sugar Grove at 7:00 pm
Sunday, March 20 at St. Mary in Bremen at 3:00 pm
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for 6 buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- For your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student with orders, and place the envelope in the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case, or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Go to the Kroger website and click on Community. Log in, and click on “my account.” Scroll all the way down and you will find “rewards.” Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St. Mary can earn money.
- SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the school copy room. Click here for an order form or stop in Mondays 8:00am-10:00am, and Fridays after school 2:15pm-3:00pm to place your order. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: email@example.com. How does SCRIP work? Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase and the school earns a portion of the card amount. Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month.
- Computer Club will be meeting March 8, March 29, April 12, April 26, May 10 and May 24 from 3:00-4:00pm in the computer lab. Students will be at the front door for pick-up at 4:00pm.
- Our 7th grade BATTLE OF THE BOOKS TEAM is busy reading and memorizing titles and authors for the March 15 competition, to be held at Bishop Hartley High School. Our team will compete against 7 other Diocesan schools, and may earn the right to move on to the final competition, to be held on Thursday, March 17, at Columbus St. Agatha School.
- Our St. Mary Middle School Choir will be attending the Diocese of Columbus Catholic Schools Honors Choir day on March 15. Our choir students will be joining with a dozen other Diocesan Catholic Schools to blend over 200 voices in song for an evening concert at 6:30pm at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Grove City. We congratulate our students on their efforts or prepare for this special day!
- The House of St. Thomas and the Kindergarten class have once again partnered to sponsor Mission Bingo, a Lenten service project, on Wednesday, March 16. All St. Mary students will join together for an hour of Bingo, buddies, snacks, and fabulous prizes, while raising money for a worthy cause! Mrs. Dreyer will be our caller for the afternoon. The cost is $2.00 per student, or $4.00 for a family with multiple children. River Valley Cinemark popcorn, McDonald’s orange drink, and as many Bingo games as we can fit into one hour are included! Prizes will be provided by the Kindergarten and House of St. Thomas students. Proceeds will benefit Ilusion Latina, a group home for at-risk children in Cusco, Peru. Elizabeth Shumaker, a 2002 graduate of St. Mary School, now lives in Peru and works with these children, who have been subject to poverty, abandonment, abuse, and violence. In Peru, there is no foster care system and children are left to fend for themselves. Elizabeth has asked for our help in raising money for school supplies as they begin their school year. **THANK YOU to River Valley Cinemark Theater for donating popcorn and McDonalds for donating drink for our project, and to Home and School for purchasing new Bingo equipment!
- Our students in grades 5-8 will be going on a field trip to Fisher Catholic High School on Thursday, March 17 to preview their spring musical, Bye Bye Birdie, featuring many of our St. Mary alumni! Lunch will be provided by Fisher or students may bring a sack lunch. Permission forms will be sent home today. Many thanks to Home and School for providing buses!
- Mark your calendars!! Our middle school students are preparing the Spring Musical. We will have an afternoon dress rehearsal during school hours on Wednesday, April 27th, and a 7:00 pm performance the same day. Be watching for more information, show times, cast lists, exciting school flash mob surprises and the highly anticipated: Beethoven Day!! You won’t want to be the one hearing about all the excitement the day after you missed the show!! Please join us, Wednesday, April 27 at 7:00pm!! AN IMPORTANT REMINDER: If you have not yet sent in your 6th, 7th, or 8th grade student’s T-shirt order form, which was sent to parents through SchoolSpeak, please do so by the end of this week. The cost is $7.00. The T-shirts will make costuming a cinch, and we will let the students know on which day they can wear them to school.
- Preschool Spring Flea Market Sale May 7 from 10:00am-2:00pm. We’re reserving tables now for those who wish to sell their items ~ tools, clothes, housewares, crafts, Mary Kay, Thirty-one, etc. Each table is $20.00! Email Miss Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application!
- Mary School has formed a new Athletic Association! Information about athletics and the Association was sent home in your child’s book bag. Families were also emailed a link to an athletic survey.
From Our Parish:
- As our Alpha Program continues with great spiritual fruit, our parish is preparing for the next phase in our Catholic Evangelization and Formation series. SYMBOLON – The Catholic Faith Explained – will be a 10-part Series on Tuesday evenings over dinner beginning on Tuesday, 29 March at 6.30 pm in the Spirit Center. Registrations for this faith series with dinner and small group discussion will be taken on sign-up sheets in the main and south entrances of the church over the coming weeks. The deadline to register is 16 March. Please contact Brian McCauley with any questions. More information available on the parish website: http://www.stmarylancaster.org/2015/?page_id=3051
- Spring Trivia Night March 12, 6:30pm-9:30pm at St. John, Logan! Get your team together for a night of fun, food, drinks, and trivia. Form a team of 6 or join a team the night of the event. Enjoy pub-style food and a “donation” bar while competing for prizes and bragging rights. Raffles, prizes, and a silent auction between trivia rounds. Master of Ceremonies, Fr. William Hahn. Space is limited! $15.00 per person or $80.00 for a team of 6. Contact Jim Hahn for tickets or information ~ 380-0395 or email@example.com. Proceeds go towards the St. John Catholic Youth Summer Camp fund!
- JOSEPH FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE Saturday, March 12 from 6:30-8:30pm for girls in St. Mary grades preschool through fifth grade. Our dance committee is looking for moms to join us in planning this special event- contact Kellie Boyden at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Don’t miss the 2016 Fisher Catholic production of “Bye Bye Birdie.” Conrad Birdie (Jacob Holbrook) is the biggest rock & roll star of the 50’s ever to be drafted. Aspiring chemist and songwriter Albert (Carter Corcoran) is convinced he can make his fortune and marry his girlfriend Rosie (Sarah Bennett) if he gets Conrad on the Ed Sullivan show to kiss high school girl Kim Peterson (Kylie Carbol) goodbye. Albert’s mother (Kennedi Christie) will do anything to break him up with Rosie. Kim and Hugo (Jacob Moses), the high school steadies, live in Sweet Apple, Ohio where most of the action takes place, and they’ve never seen anything like this before!
The show will be presented March 18 and 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Fisher Catholic auditorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for students. Children 4 and under are free. Visit http://fishercatholic.ticketleap.com/fcbbb/t/fcmusical16stmary to order tickets online.
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be March 19 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome! Mark your calendars for future dates; April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00am. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders – a fun, casual dance and game night! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00pm-9:00pm in the St. Mary Spirit Center.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesday.