Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- TOMORROW – Spirit Day and end of the third quarter
- This Friday and Saturday – Don’t miss the 2016 Fisher Catholic production of “Bye Bye Birdie” at 7:30 pm in the Fisher Catholic auditorium! Tickets are $10.00 for adults and $6.00 for students. Children ages 4 and under are free. Visit http://fishercatholic.ticketleap.com/fcbbb/t/fcmusical16stmary to order tickets online.
Conrad Birdie (Jacob Holbrook) is the biggest rock & roll star of the 50’s ever to be drafted. Aspiring English teacher and songwriter Albert (Carter Corcoran) is convinced he can make his fortune and marry his girlfriend Rosie (Sarah Bennett) if he gets Conrad on the Ed Sullivan show to kiss high school girl Kim Peterson (Kylie Carbol) goodbye. Albert’s mother (Kennedi Christie) will do anything to break him up with Rosie. Kim and Hugo (Jacob Moses), the high school steadies, live in Sweet Apple, Ohio where most of the action takes place, and they’ve never seen anything like this before!
- This Saturday – Sandwich Saturday (see announcement in the Community News section below)
- March 21-28 – No school, Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 29 – Welcome back! Spring flower sale ordering begins! Computer club meets after school
- Wednesday, March 30 – 5th Grade Camp Meeting
- Thursday, March 31 – Progress reports ~ Is your tuition account up to date? A reminder that per school policy, all accounts must be up to date in order for your child’s Progress Report to be released
- Friday, April 1 – Last day to register for our NEW 6th grade Summer Math Academy (see the Classroom Announcements section below for details)
- Order your 2015/2016 school yearbook for special early bird pricing of only $15.00 per book!
From the Principal’s Office:
- We are thrilled to announce that, just this week, Mary School became an approved provider of the Jon Peterson Scholarship offered through the Ohio Department of Education! This scholarship opportunity is available to students who have an IEP. If your child has an IEP and you are interested in applying for the scholarship, please notify the school office. While we are still working out the details of student services and scheduling for next year, the application period for parents is open. Please visit the ODE website at www.ode.state.oh.us and search for “Jon Peterson” to locate more information.
- EdChoice Expansion Scholarships are still available to students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year! This scholarship pays up to $4,650.00 in private school tuition for the children of qualifying families. Your child will keep this scholarship all the way through 12th grade, as long as your family continues to qualify! Please contact the school office for renewal or new application forms.
- Congratulations to our seventh grade Battle of the Books team (Emma Albert, Dominic Blackston, Aiden Jackson, Audrey Mannella, Clayton Menosky, and Anna Tencza) who took first place at the regional competition on Tuesday! Our team, coached by our Librarian Mrs. Walsh, advances to the finals, which will take place this afternoon in Columbus. Battle of the Books is a voluntary reading incentive program that challenges our students who wish to participate to read for comprehension. Our St. Mary team members started reading the list of over 84 books during the summer! The “battle” takes place when teams from our various Catholic schools come together for a Family Feud style event. Students are asked questions about the books they have read and they earn points for naming the correct book titles and authors. Battle of the Books is an enriching program that promotes a love for reading, and builds reading comprehension and teamwork.
- Congratulations to our St. Mary Middle School Honors Choir students who attended the Diocese of Columbus Catholic Schools Honors Choir day of singing and performing this past Tuesday under the direction of Mrs. Silleck! Ten of our students (Ryan Alspaugh, Sylvia Boyden, Kavanaugh Frank, Kate Gavin, Patrick Kenney, Brennan Quaintance, Emmy Taylor, Analisa Waibel, Milena Waibel, and Allison Welsh) joined forces with over 200 other voices from over a dozen other Catholic schools to offer an evening concert. Our own Brennan Quaintance was a soloist who auditioned and was selected from among the attending schools! Thank you for all of your hard work, Middle School Honors Choir!
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for 6 buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- For your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student with orders, and place the envelope in the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case, or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- Spring Flower Sale order forms will be available March 29 from our Teacher Association. All proceeds from the Flower Sale go towards our tuition assistance!
- It’s time to print your Kroger Community Rewards quarterly statement and send it in so it can be added to your SCRIP account. March 31st is the cut off for earning SCRIP tuition discount for the 2016-2017 school year. If you want a boost for your tuition credit for this year, place your SCRIP orders before the end of the month. SCRIP ordered after March 31st will go to your tuition discount for the 2017-2018 school year. Tomorrow is the last day to order SCRIP before break. SCRIP is processed on Monday mornings in the school copy room. Click here for an order form or stop in Mondays 8:00am-10:00am, and Fridays after school 2:15pm-3:00pm to place your order. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: smhs. email@example.com.
- Coming soon to a St. Mary School gymnasium near you…….ARCHERY ~ back by popular demand! Mr. Russell recently completed the required National Archery in Schools Program training, and he is looking forward to starting our archery unit in Physical Education class with grades 4-8 during the last quarter of the school year! We would like to start forming the club aspect of our program so that we can set the groundwork for future practices and participation in tournaments. If you are a school parent who has completed the NASP training (please provide a copy of your certificate) and you have your background check and your Protecting God’s Children certification and you are interested in running our new club, please contact the school office. The Archery Club will be open to St. Mary students in grades 4-8 and will practice after school. Our goal is to get the club underway in April.
- Computer Club will be meeting March 29, April 12, April 26, May 10 and May 24 from 3:00-4:00 pm in the computer lab. Students will be at the front door for pick-up at 4:00 pm.
- 6th grade Summer Math Academy with Mrs. Funk coming this summer! Students must be registered for St. Mary’s 6th grade for the 2016/2017 school year. Program will be offered online and at St. Mary. The cost to participate is only $12.00 for the purchase of a summer workbook. More information will be sent home to our 5th graders of St. Mary and St. Bernadette. Register by April 1 by calling the school office.
- Our middle school students are preparing our Spring Musical, “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” We will have an afternoon dress rehearsal during school hours on Wednesday, April 27th, and a 7:00 pm performance the same day. St. John, Logan will be joining us for our dress rehearsal! Be watching for more information, exciting school flash mob surprises, and the highly anticipated: Beethoven Day!! Please join us, Wednesday, April 27 at 7:00pm!
- Preschool Spring Flea Market Sale May 7 from 10:00am-2:00pm. We’re reserving tables now for those who wish to sell their items ~ tools, clothes, housewares, crafts, Mary Kay, Thirty-one, etc. Each table is $20.00! Email Miss Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application!
- Thank you to all of the parents who participated in our athletic survey! The results of the survey will be discussed at our next Athletic Association meeting and will also be shared with our school parents next month.
From Our Parish:
- As our Alpha Program continues with great spiritual fruit, our parish is preparing for the next phase in our Catholic Evangelization and Formation series. SYMBOLON – The Catholic Faith Explained – will be a 10-part Series on Tuesday evenings over dinner beginning on Tuesday, 29 March at 6.30 pm in the Spirit Center. Registrations for this faith series with dinner and small group discussion will be taken on sign-up sheets in the main and south entrances of the church over the coming weeks. The deadline to register is 16 March. Please contact Brian McCauley with any questions. More information available on the parish website: http://www.stmarylancaster.org/2015/?page_id=3051
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be March 19 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome! Mark your calendars for future dates; April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00am. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders – a fun, casual dance and game night! We invited Holy Trinity and St. Rose School 6th graders to join us this year for a super fun 6th grade bash! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00pm-9:00pmin the St. Mary Spirit Center. Please see attached flyer for more information. We need a few 6th grade parents to donate refreshments. Please contact Kellie Boyden at email@example.com or 740-687-5177 to help!
- Our ST. JOSEPH FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE was again a wonderful evening for all who attended. Thank you to the dance committee, Cindy Albert, Kellie Boyden, and Patty Pillar, as well as student helpers Emma Albert, Natalie Boyden, Victoria Johnson, and Elisa Pillar. Over 100 girls and dads (and even a few grandpas who filled in) danced the night away! Many beautiful memories were made- see you next year!
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesday.