St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
March 16, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments/Links in this Issue:
EdChoice Expansion Scholarship information
Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship information
“40 Ideas for 40 Days” Family Lenten Activity Ideas
St. Joseph Father-Daughter Dance Information
St. John Trivia Night Information
- Tuition payments were due yesterday! Your account must be up to date in order for your child’s progress report to be released on March 23.
- Friday, March 17 – Green casual day! Follow the casual day dress code and show your Irish pride!
- Saturday, March 18 – District Science Fair
- Saturday, March 18 – District Spelling Bee
- Sunday, March 19 – Confirmation rehearsal for St. Mary Parish (following the 11:15 AM Mass)
- Tuesday, March 21 – St. Mary Parish Confirmation 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, March 22 – 5th grade camp meeting 7:00 PM at St. Bernadette
- Thursday, March 23 – Progress Reports released, Preschool “Muffins with Mom” 9:30 AM, Benediction 1:45 PM
- Friday, March 24 – Registration Forms due, SPIRIT DAY, Mission Bingo for students (after lunch)
- MARCH 27-31 – NO SCHOOL (SPRING BREAK)
- Please visit our school Google calendar for the all of our school activities this spring!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Congratulations to our Battle of the Books team members (Anna Tencza, Audrey Manella, Dominic Blackston, Emma Albert, Jack Tencza, Kavanaugh Frank, Luke Sharp, and Maureen Murphy) who, once again, won FIRST PLACE in the regional competition this week! St. Mary School continues as reigning champs, after taking on the top two schools in the Diocese and beating out 23 other schools overall! Thank you to our librarian, Mrs. Walsh, for coaching our team again this year! Battle of the Books is a voluntary reading program that challenges 7th and 8th grade students who wish to participate to read for comprehension. Our St. Mary team members started reading their list of 85 books during the summer! The “battle” takes place when teams from our various Catholic schools come together for a Family Feud style event. Students are asked questions about the books they have read and they earn points for naming the correct book titles and authors. Battle of the Books is an enriching program that promotes a love for reading, and builds reading comprehension and teamwork.
- Income-based EdChoice Expansion Scholarships are available for the 2017-2018 school year for students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade! Please contact the school office or visit http://education.ohio.gov/edchoice for more information.
- Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarships are available for the upcoming school year for students who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) from their public school district. For more information, visit http://education.ohio.gov/jonpeterson.
- For wonderful Lenten resources and ideas for your family, read Joe Paprocki’s article “40 Ideas for 40 Days” at http://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com.
- Fisher Catholic Theater is looking for some set pieces to borrow for their spring musical next weekend (see announcement in the Community News below):
- 2 small round or square tables to sit at in a ‘club’
- 1930’s style old fashioned typewriter and case
- 3 policemen’s jackets and hats
- 1930’s style men’s and women’s hats, such as fedoras
- women’s purses & dress gloves (not winter gloves)
- white sailor pants/shirts/hats
If you can lend us any of these items please email Mary Walsh – email@example.com . Thanks for your help and support.
- St. Mary Teacher Association Spring Flower Sale! Orders will be taken from March 20-April 13. All proceeds from the Flower Sale go directly to St. Mary School tuition assistance! See the attachment for information, and an order form.
- It’s time to print your Kroger Community Rewards statements. Be sure to list the family name to receive credit on your statement and send to SCRIP. Purchase gift cards from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount goes towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day for your child the following month. Tuition credit earned through SCRIP for the upcoming school year ends March 31. You can still earn tuition credit for Fisher Catholic High School through your St. Mary SCRIP purchases. SCRIP will be sold on Fridays outside the gym from 2:15-3:00 PM through Spring Break for your last minute shopping! SCRIP is looking for a new volunteer for help this summer and for the upcoming school year. If interested please contact Randi Anderson (740) 407-7870 for more information.
- Support St. Mary School any time/any place you shop online through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Six buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Order Schwan’s Home Food Service and a portion of the sales will come back to our E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment) to fund class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. Follow the link to place your order today: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- Computer Club will be meeting March 21, April 4, April 18, May 2 and May 16. We have a good group who are exploring programming, debugging and collaboration. We hope to share some projects in the near future!
- The 8th grade has been learning about internet hoaxes. Specifically to not automatically believe everything that is forwarded or shared through social media, and to ask some questions before automatically clicking forward! They created their own “mythbuster” newscasts to disprove some popular internet hoaxes. Their videos can be seen on the school webpage at Saintmarylancaster.com>Welcome>Computer Lab>Click Here>8th Grade Internet Hoaxes.
From the Parish:
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be this Saturday, March 18 at 8:00 AM in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Lenten Penance Services in our Deanery;
Sunday, March 19 – St. Joseph Church, Circleville 4:00 PM
Monday, March 20 – St. John Church, Logan 7:00 PM
Tuesday, March 21 – St. Mark Church, Lancaster 7:00 PM
Monday, March 27 – St. Joseph Church, Sugar Grove 7:00 PM
Sunday, April 2 – St. Bernadette Church, Lancaster 2:00 PM
Sunday, April 9 – St. Mary Church, Bremen 3:00 PM
- St. Joseph Father-daughter dance this Saturday, March 18 immediately following the 5:30 PM Mass in the Spirit Center. See the attachment for details.
- St. John Trivia Night this Saturday, March 18! Form a team of 6 or join a team the night of the event. Enjoy pub-style food and a “donation” bar while competing for prizes and bragging rights. Raffles, prizes, and a silent auction! Master of Ceremonies will be Mr. Joe Holbrook, Dean of Students at William V. Fisher Catholic High School. Spaces are limited! $20 per person or $100 for a team of six. Contact Jim Hahn for tickets or more information 740-380-0395, firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds go toward the St. John Catholic Youth Summer Camp Fund. See the attachment for more information.
- Fisher Catholic High School presents Wonderful Town as their spring musical on Friday, March 24th and Saturday, March 25th, at 7:30PM. The show is a rollicking tribute to New York, Ohio and football! The winner of 5 Tony awards, including the 1953 award for Best Musical, the FC version is directed by our own Mrs. Walsh with choreography by Mrs. Schornack! The cast is full of St. Mary alumni including Kennedi Christie as Ruth, Emma Tobin as Eileen, Carter Corcoran as Robert Baker, and Robert Hartman as the “Wreck.” Tickets [$10.00 adults, $6.00 students] can be purchased online ~ www.fishercatholic.org ~ or at the doors each night.
- Knight of Columbus Council 1016 Fish Fry, Fridays during Lent and the Friday after Easter, 4:30-7:30PM. Adults $8.00 and children $6.00.
- Mark your calendars for the 36th Annual Fisher Catholic Bid O’Luck Dinner Auction, April 29. This year’s theme is Moonlit Masquerade. Join us for a gourmet meal prepared by Cheers & Lakeside Chalet, a full selection of beverages, and fabulous items in the Silent and Grand Auctions. Raffle tickets will be available to win the Pot-of-Gold prizes (one $7,500 and five $500 payouts). For more information, contact Kellie Shonk at email@example.com, 740-654-1231, or visit www.fishercatholic.org/bid-o-luck.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.