Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- Home & School meeting this Thursday, February 4 at 7:00 pm in the copy room of the main building. All parents are welcome!
- Bernadette MARDI GRAS this Saturday, February 6, 5:00pm-10:00pm! Please be generous in supporting this awesome fundraiser! See the attached flier for more information!
- Mary of the Assumption parish pancake breakfast hosted by your Parish Council this Sunday after all Masses in the Spirit Center! Stop by and see the St. Mary School table!
- Mary School Open House coming Sunday, February 21 from 10:00am-2:00pm! Know a family with preschool or school age children who might be interested in St. Mary? Invite them to attend!
- For the safety of our students, please remember to follow the drop off and pick up procedures found in your school handbook. The areas in front of the main building on Chestnut and Pearl Streets are loading and unloading zones only. Parking is not permitted in these areas during arrival and dismissal times. Please remember to pull all the way forward in these zones. Recently, students have been exiting vehicles in the middle of Pearl Street and walking into or around oncoming traffic. Please remember to pull all the way forward on Pearl and pull out after dropping off your children to allow other cars to unload safely. Thank you for helping to ensure the safety of our students!
2016-17 School Year Registration Open Soon!! Families that plan to apply for any tuition assistance must complete a FACTS application with the Diocese (see attached). FACTS applications are due by March 15! More information about registration, tuition, EdChoice Scholarships, tuition assistance, etc will be announced in the Thursday Folder next week! If you need any assistance with the FACTS application, please don’t hesitate to call our resident expert, Nikki, in the school office. She is more than happy to help you with this process!
From the Principal’s Office:
- STAR Reading and Math reports will be sent home today with the youngest and only child in grades K-8 (one envelope per family).
- Our school emergency call system has been purchased by another company. After February 12 we will no longer be using School Reach as our call system. Our new call system will be School Messenger.
- Our middle school visit day was a great success! The students were all smiles and had a wonderful day together! Many thanks to Home and School, Eileen Gundelfinger, Jayne Bryant, Theresa Krooner, and Corey Gavin for helping to host the parents of our visiting students! Thanks, also, to our teachers and students (especially our House Governors) who planned an awesome day for our visitors!
- Ash Wednesday is next week. What is your family doing for Lent this year? Attached to this edition of the Thursday Folder, please find a wonderful chart of 40 activities that you can do together as a family during the Lenten season (from “Real Life at Home”). I encourage you to try to do at least one of these activities as a family each week as we prepare our hearts for Easter.
- The faculty members are busy preparing for our external accreditation review February 18 and 19. On these two days, a team of principals, lead by a chairperson from the Diocese of Cleveland, will be touring our school, interviewing our teachers, and reviewing our new accreditation plan. In addition, the team will look through the evidence we have collected from our previous accreditation plan while reviewing documentation that shows how our school meets the Ohio Catholic School Accreditation Association guidelines for operation. This will be a very important week for our school as this is one of the final steps in renewing our accreditation.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- The Mother Son Event scheduled for February 14 is being rescheduled for April. More details to come soon!
- Spirit Store News ~ More shirts are available in 50/50 blend and Dri Fit in both gray and green. We also have a few youth XL long sleeve shirts available. For any of your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to email@example.com. When making a payment, please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student. The envelope can be placed directly into the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money.
- Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month. Meijer is currently paying 5%. They offered a 1% bonus during the month of December and have extended it through the end of January. We will be placing another order to stock up at the 5%, so you will continue to earn the bonus 1% until all cards have been sold. All orders placed for Meijer in the past month have been earning the 5%. Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00, and Friday after school 2:15-3:00. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10.00 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
From Our Parish:
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith, but how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be February 27 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome (we have enough baggies). Mark your calendars for future dates; March 19, April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00am. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Parents of 8th grade students: The Fairfield County Foundation is accepting applications for the Shelly Strigle Memorial Scholarship for the 2016-2017 school year. The scholarship covers partial tuition for Fisher Catholic High School. Applications are available in the St. Mary School office.
- Spring Trivia Night coming March 12, 6:30pm-9:30pm at St. John, Logan! Get your team together for a night of fun, food, drinks, and trivia. Form a team of 6 or join a team the night of the event. Enjoy pub-style food and a “donation” bar while competing for prizes and bragging rights. Raffles, prizes, and a silent auction between trivia rounds. Mast of Ceremonies, Fr. William Hahn. Space is limited! $15.00 per person or $80.00 for a team of 6. Contact Jim Hahn for tickets or information ~ 380-0395 or email@example.com. Proceeds go towards the St. John Catholic Youth Summer Camp fund!
- SAVE THE DATE: This year’s JOSEPH FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE for girls in St. Mary grades preschool through fifth grade will take place on Saturday, March 12th from 6:30-8:30pm. Don’t miss it! See future Thursday folder announcements for more information. Our dance committee is looking for moms to join us in planning this special event- contact Kellie Boyden at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders- a fun, casual dance and game night! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9th from 7-9pm in the St. Mary Spirit Center. See future Thursday folder announcements for more information.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesday.