Thursday Folder News
Attachments in this Issue:
- School Call System We began using our new call system (through School Messenger) this week. Although we checked our call list several times after our transition to School Messenger, our call announcing that school was closed this Tuesday did not go through to many of our preschool families and several of our K-8 families. On Tuesday, we ran a report of all phone numbers (land lines and cells) that were dropped in the call and we have corrected the issue. Please remember to always check the school website if there is inclement weather ~ we will always post our closings and delays on the front page immediately after any calls go out. We apologize for the confusion and thank you for your patience!
- Families that plan to apply for any tuition assistance must complete a FACTS application with the Diocese at factstuitionaid.com by March 15, 2016. The FACTS application is the first step in applying for any scholarships or tuition assistance for the upcoming school year.
- The EdChoice Expansion Scholarship application period is open! This scholarship will be available to any students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year. The scholarship award is based on family income. If you would like to renew or apply for an EdChoice Expansion Scholarship please contact the St. Mary School office. Please see the attachment for application and renewal instructions.
- Registration for our current K-7 students and our current Preschoolers who are ready for Kindergarten is now open! Packets were sent home with the youngest and only in each family.
- Preschool registration begins soon! New preschoolers can be registered beginning February 21 at our Open House. SPACE IS LIMITED! We will have 2 morning classes (3 day or 5 day), 2 afternoon classes (3 day or 5 day), and the option to attend all day for morning students, or stay for an extended class for afternoon students next year. Call or email email@example.com for a registration packet!
- Due to a conflict, the Preschool Flea Market has been moved to May 7th from 10–2:00. We are reserving tables now for those who wish to sell their items-tools, clothes, housewares, crafts, Mary Kay, Thirty-one, etc. Each table is $20! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application!
- Mary School Open House Sunday, February 21 from 10:00am-2:00pm! Know a family with preschool or school-age children who might be interested in St. Mary? Invite them to attend!
- You have the opportunity to make a difference in our school! Join the School Advisory Board for our Vision to Action (V2A) Reconnect Meeting Wednesday, February 24. (Details TBA! Tentatively scheduled for 6:00 pm in the Spirit Center.) All school parents are welcome! We will review the progress of our strategic plan, realign our committees and goals, and roll up our sleeves and get to work!
- “Like” our Facebook page! Are you on Facebook? So is St. Mary School! Look for St. Mary School-Official, “Like” us, and please give us a 5-star review.
- Early Dismissal, Friday, March 11. There will be a 1:00 pm early dismissal on Friday, March 11. Our faculty will be attending a joint in-service about Response to Intervention with St. Bernadette.
From the Principal’s Office:
- The faculty members are busy preparing for our external accreditation review this Thursday and Friday, February 18 and 19. On these two days, a team of principals, lead by a chairperson from the Diocese of Cleveland, will be touring our school, interviewing our teachers, and reviewing our new accreditation plan. In addition, the team will look through the evidence we collected from our previous accreditation plan while reviewing documentation that shows how our school meets the Ohio Catholic School Accreditation Association guidelines for operation. This is a very important week for our school as this is one of the final steps in renewing our accreditation.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- Spirit Store News ~ More shirts are available in 50/50 blend and Dri Fit in both gray and green. We also have a few youth XL long sleeve shirts available. For any of your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to email@example.com. When making a payment, please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student. The envelope can be placed directly into the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money.
- We have added a new vendor for SCRIP: Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack available in $25 and $100 cards paying 5.74%. If there are any other retailers you are interested in please check GLScrip(shopwithscrip.com) and NOSA (nosa.us) websites for all available retailers and we can order them for you. We still have Meijer cards in stock at the 5%. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00, and Friday after school 2:15-3:00. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. How does SCRIP work? Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month.
- Computer Club: Our computer club meeting was snowed out last week, our next meeting will be February 23, 3-4 p.m. in the computer lab. Students will be at the front door for pick-up at 4 p.m. The remaining dates for club meetings are: February 23, March 8, March 29, April 12, April 26, May 10 and May 24.
- Mary School has formed a new Athletic Association! This advisory group was formed at the recommendation of the Vision to Action committee. The Athletic Association has been reviewing our athletic program this school year and gathering information about the athletic programs of other schools in an effort to continue to strengthen and grow our Athletic Department. St. Mary School families will be sent more information about the work of the Athletic Association in the coming days.
From Our Parish:
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith, but how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be February 27 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome (we have enough baggies). Mark your calendars for future dates; March 19, April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00am. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Parents of 8th grade students: The Fairfield County Foundation is accepting applications for the Shelly Strigle Memorial Scholarship for the 2016-2017 school year. The scholarship covers partial tuition for Fisher Catholic High School. Applications are available in the St. Mary School office.
- Spring Trivia Night coming March 12, 6:30pm-9:30pm at St. John, Logan! Get your team together for a night of fun, food, drinks, and trivia. Form a team of 6 or join a team the night of the event. Enjoy pub-style food and a “donation” bar while competing for prizes and bragging rights. Raffles, prizes, and a silent auction between trivia rounds. Mast of Ceremonies, Fr. William Hahn. Space is limited! $15.00 per person or $80.00 for a team of 6. Contact Jim Hahn for tickets or information ~ 380-0395 or email@example.com. Proceeds go towards the St. John Catholic Youth Summer Camp fund!
- SAVE THE DATE: This year’s JOSEPH FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE for girls in St. Mary grades preschool through fifth grade will take place on Saturday, March 12th from 6:30-8:30pm. Don’t miss it! See future Thursday folder announcements for more information. Our dance committee is looking for moms to join us in planning this special event- contact Kellie Boyden at firstname.lastname@example.org for information or see the attached form.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders – a fun, casual dance and game night! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9th from 7-9pm in the St. Mary Spirit Center. See future Thursday folder announcements for more information.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesday.