St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
February 16, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments/Links in this Issue:
- Today – Interim reports (PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR TUITION ACCOUNT IS UP TO DATE IN ORDER FOR YOUR CHILD’S INTERIM REPORT TO BE RELEASED)
- Monday, February 20 – NO SCHOOL (President’s Day)
- Friday, February 24 – Spirit Day
- Sunday, February 26 – OPEN HOUSE 10:00AM-2:00PM (Please invite a potential new family to attend!)
From the Principal’s Office:
- Congratulations to our 5th grade class for their awesome “Bouncing to the Beat” performance on Friday night at Fisher! If you missed it, you can check out the video on our St. Mary Facebook page!
- Congratulations to our 8th grade boys basketball team who received a tremendous compliment from the school administration at Berne Union for their good sportsmanship and “class” at their final game last week! Thank you for representing our school so well!
- We are so proud to share that 22 of our 7th and 8th grade students received Superior ratings on their Science Fair projects and have qualified for the District Science Fair at Ohio University, Lancaster in March! Congratulations!
- “Principal Pics” coming soon to our St. Mary Facebook page! Follow the footsteps of Ms. Schornack as she travels throughout the school for her daily/weekly walk-throughs!
- Be sure to listen to 104.9 The River on March 3 at (or just after) 8:20AM to hear our 2nd and 3rd graders reciting the Pledge of Allegiance!
- Registration information for the 2017-2018 school year will be sent to our school families at the end of next week. Registration for NEW families begins Sunday, February 26 at our annual OPEN HOUSE! Please plan to join us from 10:00AM-2:00PM and please invite a new family with preschool/school-age children to attend, as well!
- Diocesan tuition assistance applications for the 2017-2018 school year must be completed online at www.factstuitionaid.com by March 15. File your 2016 taxes early! See the attachment for more information. In order to apply for any of our St. Mary tuition scholarships or assistance you MUST complete the application for Diocesan tuition assistance through FACTS.
- Income-based EdChoice Expansion Scholarships are available for the 2017-2018 school year for students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade! This state scholarship allows families who meet income eligibility guidelines to send their children to St. Mary School at little to no cost, and your child/ren will keep their scholarship through 12th grade as long as your family continues to qualify. Please contact the school office or visit http://education.ohio.gov/edchoice for more information.
- Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarships are available for the upcoming school year for students who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) from their public school district. The scholarship may be used for tuition and services to meet the needs of the student, and the amount of the scholarship awarded is based on the disability identified on the student’s IEP. For more information, visit http://education.ohio.gov/jonpeterson.
- The Ohio Catholic Federal Credit Union will award $35,000.00 in scholarships for Catholic education for the upcoming school year. Applications (accepted until March 3) and membership information can be found at http://www.ohiocatholicfcu.com.
- Purchase gift cards from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount goes towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day for your child the following month. Send orders to school on Mondays or stop in the copy room by 10:00AM on Mondays. SCRIP IS NO LONGER SOLD ON FRIDAYS AFTER SCHOOL. In an effort to make our SCRIP casual days easier for parents, students, and staff, students will no longer receive actual passes to turn in to their teachers on SCRIP casual days. Instead, families will receive an email notifying them that they have earned SCRIP casual day passes for the following month. If you do not receive the email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Teachers will be given a list of the families/students who have earned SCRIP casual day passes. Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689 with questions, or email: email@example.com.
- Support St. Mary School any time/any place you shop online through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Six buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Order Schwan’s Home Food Service and a portion of the sales will come back to our E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment) to fund class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. Follow the link to place your order today: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- There will be a meeting for any 7th or 8th grade girl or boy interested in running track this spring on Thursday, February 16 at 6:30PM in the St. Mary Gymnasium. We ask that BOTH the student(s) and parent(s) attend as important information will be discussed and/or distributed. Look forward to seeing you there! Go Irish!
- Spring is just around the corner and we would like to put together a list of the 7th and 8th graders who would be interested in playing baseball on a combined club team. Last year our club team, organized by Ben Burke and St. Mary alum Matt Slykerman, participated in practices and games in a fun, laid back environment to build fellowship, learn baseball fundamentals, and give athletes an opportunity to compete at the junior high level. Every effort will be made to work around the track schedule, practices are local, and games are usually away due to field availability. If your 7th or 8th grader is interested in playing club baseball, please email Ben Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can ensure there is enough interest to move forward with forming the club team. Go Irish!
From the Parish:
- Columbus Catholic Women’s Conference February 18 – visit www.ColumbusCatholicWomen.com for more information. Catholic Men’s Conference February 25 – visit www.CatholicMen’sMinistry.com for more information. Both conferences will be held at the Ohio Expo Center.
- Mark Your Calendars for CAKE BINGO February 19, 1:00-3:00PM in the Spirit Center! $5 per person/ $15 per family (max), includes unlimited Bingo, pizza, beverages, and snacks. Small raffle prizes available for 25¢ per ticket. This event is open to all community members regardless of school or church affiliation. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger if you’d like to donate a cake or two or small raffle prizes. This is fun for the whole family!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be Saturday, February 25 at 8:00AM in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- St. Mary of the Assumption Parish Mission, “I believe in One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church” presented by Fr. Thomas Blau, O.P. will be held on March 6-9 at 7:00PM. Please see the attachment for more information.
- St. Joseph Father-daughter dance Saturday, March 18 immediately following the 5:30PM Mass in the Spirit Center. Please see the attached registration form for more information!
- Fairfield County and the 33 Development Alliance are asking residents of Fairfield County to help map its future by completing a Community Technology Assessment. The survey is available at http://connectmycommunity.org/fairfield-county/ and will provide information critical to schools and businesses in identifying technology needs of its students and workforce. Survey results will be compiled to aide the school systems and county agencies in securing technology grants, attracting new businesses and helping to ensure that residents all over the county have quick and reliable access to the internet. The survey takes less than 10 minutes to complete. The goal is 1,500 respondents by the end of March. Please contact Rick at email@example.com with any questions.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.