Thursday Folder News
Happy Valentine’s Day – Free Casual Day, Friday, February 12, to all students and staff as a St. Valentine’s Day celebration from Mrs. Schornack!
Attachments in this Issue:
- Families that plan to apply for any tuition assistance must complete a FACTS application with the Diocese at factstuitionaid.com by March 15, 2016. The FACTS application is the first step in applying for any scholarships or tuition assistance for the upcoming school year.
- The EdChoice Expansion Scholarship application period is open! This scholarship will be available to any students entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade next year. The scholarship award is based on family income. If you would like to renew or apply for an EdChoice Expansion Scholarship please contact the St. Mary School office. Please see the attachment for application and renewal instructions.
- Registration for our current K-7 students and our current Preschoolers who are ready for Kindergarten will begin this Friday, February 12! Packets will be sent home with the youngest and only in each family.
- Preschool registration begins soon! New preschoolers can be registered beginning February 21 at our Open House. SPACE IS LIMITED! We will have 2 morning classes (3 day or 5 day), 2 afternoon classes (3 day or 5 day), and the option to attend all day for morning students, or stay for an extended class for afternoon students next year.
- St. Mary School Open House Sunday, February 21 from 10:00am-2:00 pm! Know a family with preschool or school-age children who might be interested in St. Mary? Invite them to attend!
- You have the opportunity to make a difference in our school! Join the School Advisory Board for our Vision to Action (V2A) Reconnect Meeting Wednesday, February 24. (Details TBA! Tentatively scheduled for 6:00 pm in the Spirit Center.) All school parents are welcome! We will review the progress of our strategic plan, realign our committees and goals, and roll up our sleeves and get to work!
- For the safety of our students, please remember to follow the drop-off and pick up procedures found in your school handbook. The areas in front of the main building on Chestnut and Pearl Streets are loading and unloading zones only. Parking is not permitted in these areas during arrival and dismissal times. Please remember to pull all the way forward in these zones. Recently, students have been exiting vehicles in the middle of Pearl Street and walking into or around oncoming traffic. Please remember to pull all the way forward on Pearl and pull out after dropping off your children to allow other cars to unload safely. Thank you for helping to ensure the safety of our students!
From the Principal’s Office:
- The Spiritual Works of Mercy are a wonderful focus for your family during this Lenten season; instructing, advising, consoling, comforting, forgiving, and bearing wrongs with patience. An easy way to remember the key words in the Spiritual Works of Mercy is with the image of a hand. On each of your 5 fingers remember; comfort, counsel, pray, forgive, and teach. Post this on your fridge or bulletin board at home as a reminder, or try the following activity as a family. On slips of paper, write random acts of kindness that flow from the Spiritual Works of Mercy, such as “comfort someone who is upset for hurting today,” “forgive someone today,” “be patient today.” Give each family member a slip of paper as they leave in the morning and encourage them to perform the act of kindness or mercy without recognition. Share your experiences together as a family later in the day, and then pray together that your kindness and mercy will be passed on throughout Lent and beyond.
- The faculty members are busy preparing for our external accreditation review next week ~ February 18 and 19. On these two days, a team of principals, lead by a chairperson from the Diocese of Cleveland, will be touring our school, interviewing our teachers, and reviewing our new accreditation plan. In addition, the team will look through the evidence we collected from our previous accreditation plan while reviewing documentation that shows how our school meets the Ohio Catholic School Accreditation Association guidelines for operation. Next week will be a very important week for our school as this is one of the final steps in renewing our accreditation.
- A final reminder that our school emergency call system has been purchased by another company. After February 12 we will no longer be using School Reach as our call system. Our new call system will be School Messenger.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- Spirit Store News ~ More shirts are available in 50/50 blend and Dri Fit in both gray and green. We also have a few youth XL long sleeve shirts available. For any of your Spirit Store needs, questions, or suggestions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. When making a payment, please enclose cash or check in an envelope marked Spirit Store and name of student. The envelope can be placed directly into the locked box attached to the Spirit Store display case or your child can give it to his or her homeroom teacher to be sent to the office.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money.
- We have added a new vendor for SCRIP: Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack available in $25 and $100 cards paying 5.74%. If there are any other retailers you are interested in please check GLScrip(com) and NOSA (nosa.us) websites for all available retailers and we can order them for you. We still have Meijer cards in stock at the 5%. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00, and Friday after school 2:15-3:00. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: email@example.com. How does SCRIP work? Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month.
- The students in grades 5 and 8 will be taking the annual ACRE assessment. This brief assessment is administered Diocesan-wide to all students in these grade levels, and it is also administered nationally in most Catholic schools. The ACRE evaluates student knowledge of the Catholic faith in order to help the school and the Diocese determine the quality of its religious education programs. The assessment does not impact the grades or progress reports of our students.
- Save the Date! Preschool Spring Flea Market Sale coming April 17! Sign up to sell your things or just come by to shop! See the attached forms for more information.
- Mary School has formed a new Athletic Association! This advisory group was formed at the recommendation of the Vision to Action committee. The Athletic Association has been reviewing our athletic program this school year and gathering information about the athletic programs of other schools in an effort to continue to strengthen and grow our Athletic Department. St. Mary School families will be sent more information about the work of the Athletic Association in the coming days.
From Our Parish:
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith, but how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00 am on Sundays (3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be February 27 at 8:00 am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome (we have enough baggies). Mark your calendars for future dates; March 19, April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00 am. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Parents of 8th grade students: The Fairfield County Foundation is accepting applications for the Shelly Strigle Memorial Scholarship for the 2016-2017 school year. The scholarship covers partial tuition for Fisher Catholic High School. Applications are available in the St. Mary School office.
- Spring Trivia Night coming March 12, 6:30pm-9:30 pm at St. John, Logan! Get your team together for a night of fun, food, drinks, and trivia. Form a team of 6 or join a team the night of the event. Enjoy pub-style food and a “donation” bar while competing for prizes and bragging rights. Raffles, prizes, and a silent auction between trivia rounds. Master of Ceremonies, Fr. William Hahn. Space is limited! $15.00 per person or $80.00 for a team of 6. Contact Jim Hahn for tickets or information ~ 380-0395 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds go towards the St. John Catholic Youth Summer Camp fund!
- SAVE THE DATE: This year’s JOSEPH FATHER -DAUGHTER DANCE for girls in St. Mary grades preschool through fifth grade will take place on Saturday, March 12th from 6:30-8:30 pm. Don’t miss it! See future Thursday Folder announcements for more information. Our dance committee is looking for moms to join us in planning this special event- contact Kellie Boyden at email@example.com for information or see the attached form.
- JUST FOR 6TH GRADERS: Last year we started a new tradition for St. Mary School and St. John School 6th graders – a fun, casual dance and game night! This year’s event will take place on Saturday, April 9th from 7-9pm in the St. Mary Spirit Center. See future Thursday folder announcements for more information.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesday.