St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up-to-date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- Home and School meeting Thursday, December 3 at 7:00 pm in the school Library. All parents are welcome!
- First Penance and First Holy Communion Parent Meeting this Sunday, December 6 at 10:00 am in the Spirit Center – parents of all children making these sacraments at St. Mary of the Assumption Parish must attend.
- The entire school earned a week of casual dress for Holiday Happening raffle ticket sales! The casual week will be next week, December 7-11, with the exception of Tuesday, December 8. Uniforms will be required on Tuesday, December 8 for school Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
- BOOK FAIR opens next week! This year the Book Fair will be in the school copy room.
- Our Christmas Music Program is next Wednesday, December 9th at 7:00 PM. Please note it is on a Wednesday this year, not Tuesday like it usually is since the 8th of December is a Holy Day (The Feast of the Immaculate Conception). Albert will send a letter with final details the week before the program. If you have any questions, please contact her. We have been working on our songs and are very excited! A few more details:
The program includes our preschool and Grades K-5 singing.
Grades 5-8 Band members will perform.
Grades 6-8 Honors Choir will perform.
The program usually lasts 1 hour.
Students are asked to wear dress clothes.
Students that take piano lessons will be able to play a song in the Piano Prelude, which starts about 6:45. Mrs. Albert will send out a sheet for students to sign up for that in a few weeks.
- The handmade Christmas ornaments that the K-8 students made in Art class will be for sale during the Christmas Program on December 9! Each ornament is $2.00 or your generous donation with all proceeds going towards the purchase of Art class supplies for our students!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Parent surveys are due by this Friday, December 4. Please turn in the “Congratulations” page of the survey by Friday, December 4 for you child to get his/her casual day pass. Thank you to everyone who has submitted a survey!
- Our parish and community have many opportunities for your family to grow together through prayer and service during this Advent season. Please consider taking part in these opportunities to make this a holy season for your family.
- Family Rosary Night this Saturday, December 5 after the 5:30 pm Mass in the Spirit Center.
- Deanery Advent Penance Services: December 6 (St. Joseph, Circleville), December 7 (St. John, Logan), December 10 (St. Mary, Lancaster), December 13 (St. Bernadette), December 14 (St. Joseph, Sugar Grove), December 15 (St. Mark), and December 20 (St. Mary, Bremen).
- Mary Parish Giving Tree Project ~ select an ornament off one of the trees in the church vestibules, return your wrapped gifts with the ornament attached by December 13.
- Vincent de Paul Food Drive ~ non-perishable food items can be brought to the church throughout Advent and placed on the tables and/or in the tubs in the back of church or the south vestibule.
- Donate items for or come out to work the next Sandwich Saturday on December 19 and help feed the hungry in our community (see announcement below).
- Donate unwrapped toys for the House of St. Therese Toy Drive (see announcement below).
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- It’s time to print your quarterly statement for the Kroger Community Rewards. Please send in a copy of your statement that shows your rewards contribution for St. Mary School and we will add it to your account. Make sure your name is on the statement so we can add it to the right account.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money.
- Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month. You buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00, and Friday after school 2:15-3:00. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christmas Toy Drive until December 10 to benefit Fairfield Child Protective Services! This organization helps area children to have a happy Christmas. Sponsored by the House of Saint Therese. Please donate a gift for a child your age. Drop off location will be in each classroom. Please do not donate DVDs, CDs, electronic devices, video games, gift cards, or money. Please do not wrap your donation. Even a small gift can make a child’s Christmas dream come true! Thank you for your generosity!
- The 8th grade students will be visiting Fisher Catholic for the day on Friday, December 11.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
From Our Parish:
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith, but how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explained opens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00 am on Sundays (12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- You’re Invited! Join us for the Alpha Course at St. Mary of the Assumption Beginning January 7, 2016. Sign-ups will begin on November 18, 2015, see attached link for more details. Volunteers are needed to love, serve, welcome and facilitate. Hosts: Facilitate discussion in small groups and create a welcome atmosphere where guests feel free to ask honest questions about the Christian faith and topics covered on the DVD. Helpers: Provide hospitality by making sure guests are comfortable. Required Training Dec. 13, 12:30-2:30pm or Dec. 20, 9:00-11:00am.
- St. John Cookie Walk Saturday, December 5, 9:00am-Noon at St. John in Logan! Tons and tons of homemade cookies! Don’t have time to bake for the Holidays? Let St. John help you out! Relax and enjoy this festive season as you select from dozens of our homemade Christmas cookies and other delights! Sold by the pound! Thank you for supporting the St. John School Tuition Assistance Program by attending this event!
- Fun with Art & Clay! Mary students are invited to join us Monday, December 7 from 3:00p.m.-4:00p.m. in the St. Mary Spirit Center for an activity with Art & Clay! Prepare for the season by making a beautiful ceramic Christmas item from Art & Clay on Main. Items will be ready by Christmas break!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be December 19 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Mark your calendars for future dates; January 23, February 27, March 19, April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00AM. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.