St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up-to-date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- Holiday Happening will be held this Saturday, November 7 from 3:00-8:00pm and this Sunday, November 8 from 10:00am-3:00pm! Please be supportive of this all-school event! We ask each family to volunteer time accordingly to help make this event successful. If you have questions, please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063.
What is Holiday Happening?
Two days of children’s games, live entertainment, chicken and noodles dinner, children’s raffle, $1000 cash raffle, silent and live auctions, and more!
What is the purpose of the fundraiser?
This is our school’s largest fundraiser to generate funds for the general operating budget of the school, which in turn, keeps tuition at an affordable rate. These funds benefit the entire student population at SMS by funding field trips and enrichment programs (COSI on Wheels, etc.).
- The students turned in $2,056 in raffle sales today for a total of $12,407! Mrs Yaple’s 7th grade homeroom is highest in total sales with $1,837 and highest average per student with $96. The 5th grade is in second place with overall sales of $1,461 and an average per student with $ $73. Third place for overall sales goes to 1st grade with $1,379. Third place for average per student goes to Mrs. Lipp’s 7th grade homeroom with $66. Highest raffle ticket sales of $741 for an individual student goes again to Natalie Boyden. On Monday only 3 classes had earned a week of dress down…as of today, every class has earned dress down for a week! We will let you know the final total for the raffle after the weekend. Have a fun weekend at Holiday Happening!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Please support our Teacher Association Holiday Greenery Sale (see announcement below)! 100% of the proceeds will go to our St. Mary Tuition Assistance fund!
- We are so excited to share that our fifth grade students have been invited to participate in Bishop Campbell’s monthly radio show on St. Gabriel Catholic Radio! Representatives from the radio station will be visiting our school before Thanksgiving break to record our fifth graders asking questions that the Bishop will be answering. We will share more information, including the date that the show will air on St. Gabriel Catholic Radio, as soon as we are informed.
- Please remember to send an excuse note to the office after your child has missed school and contact the school office, 740-654-1632, if your child will not be at school for any reason.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX Buy One, Get One FREE Pizza Sticker Coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- HOLIDAY GREENERY SALE! S MARY EDUCATION ASSOCIATION will be selling WREATHS, DOOR SWAGS, DOOR/HEARTH ARCHS, WINDOW SILL SWAGS and GRAVE PILLOWS. See the attached order form. Orders will be taken November 1-15. 100% of proceeds benefit St. Mary Tuition Assistance! Payment/ pick-up will be Friday, December 3 from 3pm-6pm or Saturday, December 4 from 10am-12pm in the Spirit Center
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money. Thanks!!
- Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month. You buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8-10, and Friday after school 2:15-3. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- There will be no afternoon Kids CARE on Wednesday, November 25 due to our 1:00pm early dismissal for Thanksgiving break. Please make alternative arrangements now for your children that attend Kids CARE.
- The St. Mary Preschool students and students of the House of St. Stephen will be collecting the following items for St. Vincent DePaul Thanksgiving Meal Bags:
Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Boxed Mashed Potatoes
Cans of Pumpkin
Collection will end on November 16. Please be generous when donating to this very worthy cause!
From Our Parish:
- Love Is Our Mission: A Call to Live the Joy and Mission of Marriage and Family Life. All are invited to one of these four gatherings as The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell discusses the recent World Meeting of Families. Come and discover how you can answer Pope Francis’ call to become a family fully alive! For more information visit colsdioc.org or call 614-241-2560.
- Tuesday, November 10th, 7:00 PM, Bishop Ready High School
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith. But how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (10/11, 10/25, 12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- You’re Invited! Join us for the Alpha Course at St. Mary of the Assumption Beginning January 7, 2016. Sign-ups will begin on November 18, 2015, see attached link for more details. Volunteers are needed to love, serve, welcome and facilitate. Hosts: Facilitate discussion in small groups and create a welcome atmosphere where guests feel free to ask honest questions about the Christian faith and topics covered on the DVD. Helpers: Provide hospitality by making sure guests are comfortable. Required Training Dec. 13, 12:30-2:30pm or Dec. 20, 9:00-11:00am.
- Fisher Catholic is YOUR High School! Is your student-athlete dreaming of playing competitive high school athletics? Fisher Catholic fields competitive teams throughout the year with an opportunity to contribute right away as a freshman. Earlier this month our Boys Varsity Golf Team won the 2015 OHSAA State Championship, and this week we have a Cross Country Runner vying for a State Title, our Girls Volleyball team just won the District Championship, and the Varsity Football team just wrapped up a 6-4 season. In 2014-15 the Boys soccer team won the Mid-State Cardinal Division League. The basketball program is under new leadership and loaded with seniors, so look for a strong year from them! Our coaches work with students and parents to help find opportunities if athletes desire to play sports at the college level. Several alumni are currently playing football, basketball and track at a higher level. Contact Joe Jasinski at 740-654-1231 to find out more. Our Catholic Community, Our Catholic School!
- Fisher Catholic High School will be sending student and staff representatives to visit and share a presentation for the St. Mary students in grades 5-8 on Thursday, November 5!
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
- Love horses? Want to learn to ride? Horseback riding lessons and equestrian education offered at Mr. and Mrs. Foura’s stables, conveniently located at 267 Rainbow Drive NE, Lancaster. Gentle horses and a very knowledgeable, experienced instructor. Lessons are $40.00 for one hour and $30.00 for one-half hour. Training for your horse also available. Please call 740-654-1367 with questions or to schedule.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.