St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up-to-date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- SPIRIT DAY MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23!
- NO SCHOOL NOVEMBER 25, 26, OR 27! Happy Thanksgiving!
- School Penance Service Wednesday, December 2.
- Benediction Thursday, December 3.
- Home and School meeting Thursday, December 3 at 7:00 pm in the Copy Room. All parents are welcome!
Last Chance to Order Holiday Greenery! Click Here for Order Form. Call St. Mary School @ 740-654-1632 between 8:30AM-3:00PM before Friday November 20 to place your order! Payment and pick-up will be Friday, December 4 from 3:00-6:00PM or Saturday, December 5 from 10:00AM- 12:00PM in the St. Mary Spirit Center. All proceeds benefit the St. Mary Tuition Assistance Fund. Thank you for supporting Catholic Education!
- EVERY CLASS in the entire school had 100% participation in the raffle ticket sales for Holiday Happening this year! That means that the ENTIRE SCHOOL gets a week of casual dress! The casual week will be December 7-11, with the exception of Tuesday, December 8. Uniforms will be required on Tuesday, December 8 for school Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
From the Principal’s Office:
- Our annual parent survey will be shared online with all current school parents. Your child(ren) will receive casual day passes if you take a moment to complete the survey. To make sure your child receives his/her pass, and in order to protect the privacy of your responses, please print only the “Congratulations” page/portion of the survey, write the name(s) of your child(ren) on the page, and send it to the school office by Friday, December 4.
- St. Gabriel Catholic Radio will be visiting our fifth graders today (Thursday, November 19) to record some of their responses for the Bishop’s radio show! The show will air on Tuesday, December 1 from 5:00-6:00pm. Please tune in to St. Gabriel Catholic Radio AM820 for this exciting event!
- Our teachers traveled to Cleveland for the Ohio Catholic Educators Association convention last Thursday. They also participated in an all day in-service here at school last Friday, which covered Google Apps, Chromebooks, the new interactive white boards and Smart Response, and Renaissance Learning assessments (STAR Reading and STAR Math). Both days were wonderful learning opportunities for our faculty! Many thanks to our Home and School for providing breakfast and lunch for the faculty for Friday’s in-service and to a very generous St. Mary School family for donating gas cards to reimburse the faculty for their drive to Cleveland!
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX buy one, get one FREE pizza sticker coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- KROGER REWARDS: Not registered? Please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card. Go to Kroger’s website and click on Community! Log in, and click on “my account”. If you scroll all the way down you will find “rewards”. Simply enter our number “83479” and that’s it! You and St Mary can earn money.
- Want to get a SCRIP casual day pass for your child? Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month to earn casual day passes for the following month. You buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase, and the school earns a portion of the card amount. We will be processing SCRIP on Monday mornings, in the Copy Room (beside the Spirit Store case, across from the gym). Click here for an order form, and you can send your order in ahead of time with your child, or stop in Mondays 8:00-10:00, and Friday after school 2:15-3:00. Questions? Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thanks to all that purchased SCRIP in the month of October to earn a free t-shirt! Our sales increased dramatically! Please consider SCRIP for your upcoming holiday shopping and help keep the momentum going. Remember it doesn’t cost you anything! The money you spend comes back to you in a gift card and earns you money toward your tuition discount and for the school. We were hoping the t-shirts would make it in by the next spirit day, but since it has been moved up to Monday they won’t be finished in time. They should be in after Thanksgiving break. SCRIP will be sold Friday after school and Monday morning before Thanksgiving break. Make sure that you stock up before break. We will only be selling scrip on hand since we are only in school two days next week.
- Christmas Toy Drive November 23-December 10 to benefit Fairfield Child Protective Services! This organization helps area children to have a happy Christmas. Sponsored by the House of Saint Therese. Please donate a gift for a child your age. Drop off location will be in each classroom. Please do not donate DVDs, CDs, electronic devices, video games, gift cards, or money. Please do not wrap your donation. Even a small gift can make a child’s Christmas dream come true! Thank you for your generosity!
- Our Christmas Music Program is on Wednesday, December 9th at 7:00PM. Please note it is on a Wednesday this year, not Tuesday like it usually is since the 8th of December is a Holy Day (The Feast of the Immaculate Conception). Albert will send a letter with final details the week before the program. If you have any questions, please contact her. We have been working on our songs and are very excited! A few more details:
The program includes our preschool and Grades K-5 singing.
Grades 5-8 Band members will perform.
Grades 6-8 Honors Choir will perform.
The program usually lasts 1 hour.
Students are asked to wear dress clothes.
Students that take piano lessons will be able to play a song in the Piano Prelude, which starts about 6:45. Mrs. Albert will send out a sheet for students to sign up for that in a few weeks.
- The handmade Christmas ornaments that the K-8 students made in Art class will be for sale during the Christmas Program on December 9! Each ornament is $2.00 or your generous donation with all proceeds going towards the purchase of Art class supplies for our students!
- The 8th grade students will be visiting Fisher Catholic on Friday, December 11. More information about this field trip will be provided to the 8th grade students and parents.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
From Our Parish:
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith, but how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- You’re Invited! Join us for the Alpha Course at St. Mary of the Assumption Beginning January 7, 2016. Sign-ups will begin on November 18, 2015, see attached link for more details. Volunteers are needed to love, serve, welcome and facilitate. Hosts: Facilitate discussion in small groups and create a welcome atmosphere where guests feel free to ask honest questions about the Christian faith and topics covered on the DVD. Helpers: Provide hospitality by making sure guests are comfortable. Required Training Dec. 13, 12:30-2:30pm or Dec. 20, 9:00-11:00am.
- Fisher Catholic OPEN HOUSE Wednesday, November 18, 4:00PM-8:00PM!
- Bernadette Dine to Donate at Bob Evans, Thursday, November 19! Dine in and take out qualify! Please support St. Bernadette!
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be November 21 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Mark your calendars for future dates; December 19, January 23, February 27, March 19, April 23, and May 21 all starting at 8:00AM. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- John Cookie Walk Saturday, December 5, 9:00am-Noon at St. John in Logan! Tons and tons of homemade cookies! Don’t have time to bake for the Holidays? Let St. John help you out! Relax and enjoy this festive season as you select from dozens of our homemade Christmas cookies and other delights! Sold by the pound! Thank you for supporting the St. John School Tuition Assistance Program by attending this event!
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.