St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up-to-date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- Catholic Schools Week is celebrated this week. Each day of the week we’ll have a special theme and activities planned for the students. The schedule of activities will be as follows:
- Monday, October 5 – Caring Cards Day! Students will have a casual day and should wear a shirt of their favorite team sports. Students will make cards for community members with their school buddies during the school day.
- Tuesday, October 6 – Colors of God Day! Students will have a casual day. Middle school students should wear their House shirts and students in grades K-5 may wear a shirt of their favorite color. Middle school Houses will have their annual poster contest.
- Wednesday, October 7 – Souper Mix-up Mismatch Day! Students will have a casual day and should dress mismatched. Students should bring a can of soup or a nonperishable food item for St. Vincent de Paul.
- Thursday, October 8 – Spirit Day! Students will dress in regular Spirit Day wear. We will pray a whole school rosary during the school day.
- Friday, October 9 – WEAR UNIFORMS, NO SHORTS PERMITTED, MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS WEAR TIES. All students in grades K-8 will travel to Fisher Catholic High School for an all Deanery Catholic Schools Mass with Bishop Campbell. Bus transportation will be provided to Fisher for all students and students will be chaperoned by teachers and staff. Parents are welcome to attend the Mass. Mass begins at 10:00am. A field trip permission slip was sent home with every child in grades K-8.
- Shorts will be permitted until October 8. AFTER OCTOBER 8 STUDENTS MUST WEAR PANTS (GIRLS MAY STILL WEAR JUMPERS IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO) AND MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS MUST WEAR TIES EVERY
- NO SCHOOL OCTOBER 15 AND 16! Enjoy the Fair!
- Terra Nova testing will take place October 19-23 for all students in grades 2-8. Please try to limit student absence that week and ensure that your child has a full breakfast and gets to bed early so they are prepared for their tests. Thank you!
- All students in grades K-8 will go to school Mass every Tuesday, unless otherwise noted on the online school calendar.
From the Office:
- Please remember to send an excuse note to the office after your child has missed school and contact the school office, 740-654-1632, if your child will not be at school for any reason.
- To introduce new customers to Scrip and to reward our faithful customers, Scrip is once again offering a free t-shirt with your order in the month of October. If you place an order for $300 or more in the month of October, all St. Mary students in your family will receive a free t-shirt. The order forms will be sent home with your child on Friday. Any families that have already purchased $300 for the month of October can just send in the completed order form and we will verify your previous order. The t-shirt is a new design and will be dark green with light gray lettering. A picture of the shirt will be on the website on the SCRIP page and keep in mind the words on the “T” will be different and more representative of St. Mary School.
- Holiday Happening Raffle The students have collected a total of $1737 so far. The winners of the first drawings were Mallory Stanton and Matthew McGonagle. They both chose a $10 SCRIP gift card. First Grade has the highest amount so far with $327 and 7 students in the 1st grade have already earned their treat coupon. Lipp has the Spirit Banner until next Wednesday for the highest average collected per student with $15. The next turn-in day and drawing will be Monday!
- Holiday Happening will be held Saturday, November 7 from 3:00-8:00pm and Sunday, November 8 from 10:00am-3:00pm!
What is Holiday Happening?
Two days of children’s games, live entertainment, chicken and noodles dinner, children’s raffle, $1000 cash raffle, silent and live auctions, and more!
What is the purpose of the fundraiser?
This is our school’s largest fundraiser to generate funds for the general operating budget of the school, which in turn, keeps tuition at an affordable rate. These funds benefit the entire student population at SMS by funding field trips and enrichment programs (COSI on Wheels, etc.).
Please be supportive of this all-school event. We ask each family to volunteer time accordingly to help make this event successful.
More details to come! If you have questions, please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
From the Cafeteria:
- The Café needs your help! We are looking for donations of 9oz plastic cups for the students use at lunch. Please bring your donations to the school office. Thank you for your help and support!
From Our Parish:
- Love Is Our Mission: A Call to Live the Joy and Mission of Marriage and Family Life. All are invited to one of these four gatherings as The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell discusses the recent World Meeting of Families. Come and discover how you can answer Pope Francis’ call to become a family fully alive! For more information visit colsdioc.org or call 614-241-2560.
- Monday, October 12th, 7:00 PM, Ohio Dominican University
- Wednesday, October 21st, 7:00 PM, St. Francis DeSales, Newark
- Saturday, October 31st, 10:30 AM, St. Peter, Chillicothe
- Tuesday, November 10th, 7:00 PM, Bishop Ready High School
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be October 24 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- St. Mary Parish is pleased to offer a special adult faith education and enrichment series presented by Fr. Ignatius Harrington, a Catholic priest who serves as pastor of two Melkite Greek-Catholic parishes within the diocese. The first two sessions will be held in our Spirit Center and the Divine Liturgy will be prayed in Church. Time: 7:00pm, Dates: Thursdays, October 8, 22, 29. Contact Brian McCauley at the parish office at 740-653-5054 with any questions.
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith. But how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (10/11, 10/25, 12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- Fisher Catholic Chili Cook Off and Powder Puff Football Game Sunday, October 18! Cook off 1:00-3:00pm, Powder Puff game 3:15-4:00pm. First 10 entries will be accepted into the cook off! Football games will be on, concessions will be open, and a corn hole tournament will be sponsored by Student Council. Email Kellie Shonk at email@example.com to enter the chili cook off or the corn hole tournament! This event is meant to be a kick off for Homecoming Week and a fun, community building event. This is not a major fundraiser! The funds that are raised will go to the Athletic Department. Please come and join us for a fun day to help build some school spirit for Homecoming Week!
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
- Love horses? Want to learn to ride? Horseback riding lessons and equestrian education offered at Mr. and Mrs. Foura’s stables, conveniently located at 267 Rainbow Drive NE, Lancaster. Gentle horses and a very knowledgeable, experienced instructor. Lessons are $40.00 for one hour and $30.00 for one-half hour. Training for your horse also available. Please call 740-654-1367 with questions or to schedule.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.