St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
October 6, 2016
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- The last day to wear shorts to school is tomorrow (Friday, October 7). Please make sure your child dresses for the weather each day and has a school fleece, light jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt on cooler mornings with his/her name inside.
- Tonight – Home and School Parent Association meeting and Holiday Happening planning meeting 7:00 pm in the copy room. All parents are welcome!
- Sunday, October 9 – Family Rosary Day 3:00 pm St. Joseph Cathedral, Bishop Campbell presiding. All are welcome!
- Thursday, October 13 and Friday, October 14 – NO SCHOOL (FAIRFIELD COUNTY FAIR)
- Sunday, October 16 – Confirmation prep session for St. Mary Parish 10:00 am in the Spirit Center.
- A reminder that monthly tuition payments are due next week. We greatly appreciate your timely payments! Per school policy, all tuition accounts must be up to date before progress reports can be released on October 27.
- THE THURSDAY FOLDER WILL BE SENT OUT ON WEDNESDAY NEXT WEEK.
From the Principal’s Office:
- We are very excited to welcome the Franciscan Sisters who will visit with our middle school grades 6-8 next week!
- TERRA NOVA TESTING WEEK is coming up quickly. All students in grades 2-8 will take the Terra Nova test October 17-21. PLEASE TRY TO LIMIT ABSENCES, TARDY ARRIVALS, AND APPOINTMENTS so that students can focus on testing, particularly in the mornings. A full night of rest and a complete breakfast every morning are very important for the students during testing week. Thank you for support!
Home and School:
- Many of you may be new to our school and, therefore, new to Holiday Happening. This event is our school’s largest fundraiser. We’ve eliminated other product sales (candy, wrapping paper, candles, etc.) over the years and have our fundraiser in ONE WEEKEND. This year’s event is Saturday, November 12 from 3-8 pm and Sunday, November 13 from 10 am-3 pm. It’s held in the Main Building in the gymnasium, and we use the second and third floor hallways for games.
Why do we do TWO DAYS? Simple. It’s a FAMILY AFFAIR, and it’s our school’s UNIQUE TRADITION.
So, why do we do this fundraiser? We generate funds to offer FREE or REDUCED RATE activities. The Home & School Association is proud to sponsor school-wide field trips, COSI on Wheels, Alley Park visits, Math, Science, and Art Enrichment Programs, guest speaker events, and more.
We ask that each family volunteer TWO HOURS during open hours of this weekend.
There is great need to help with preparations for this grand event, and we can use your help to:
- assist in the kitchen preparing cinnamon rolls, assisting with other food prep, etc.
- solicit for donations
- retrieve donations from area businesses
Keep in mind that Holiday Happening is a COMMUNITY affair. We invite outside dance companies to perform for our enjoyment. We have large crowds who attend following all of the St. Mary Parish Masses. These are community investors in our school.
This year, we have the following Team Leaders in place, and you are welcome to join any area of interest at any time :
- Kitchen = Lynann Shea + YOU
- Auction = Bobbie Van Fossen + YOU
- Bake Sale = Heather Coakley + YOU
- $1,000 Cash Raffle = Paula Maier + YOU
- Children’s Raffle = Mitzi Neighbor + YOU
- Decorations = Home & School Officers + YOU
- Entertainment = Cindy Albert + YOU
- Children’s Games = Home and School Officers + YOU
- Advertising = Home and School Officers + YOU
- PERSONALIZED CLASSROOM CREATIONS for each classroom for the Live Auction – If you (and another parent) would like to organize this project, please contact Eileen Gundelfinger asap. You will work with your child’s teacher for the idea, supplies, and class time to create these masterpieces. All Preschool classes and 1st and 2nd grades are covered and the teachers do not need assistance. Thank You.
The goal is to have parents of younger students work alongside “seasoned” parents each year to learn about each area and possibly become a Team Leader in subsequent years. This is how we grow and expand our event with fresh ideas, knowledge, and talents.
If you have any questions regarding Holiday Happening, please contact a Home & School Officer.
You may now sign up for your time slot for your child’s classroom’s area by using the link below. For parents of multiple children, please choose one area and time slot of interest. The link is:
Please join us for the next Holiday Happening Huddle on Thursday, 10/6/16 at 7 pm in the Copy Room following the regularly scheduled Home & School Meeting.
Ahoy Mateys! The Saint Mary Library will host our fall Scholastic ‘BOOKANEER’ BOOK FAIR in conjunction with Parent/Teacher Conferences and the Holiday Happening! Let SMS be your 1 STOP SHOP for all your holiday shopping needs! Check out the flyer for information on dates and ways to volunteer.
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Purchase a card with SIX buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Support Saint Mary School by ordering Schwan’s Home Food Service! Choose from hundreds of high quality products, including USDA choice meats, Grade A vegetables flash frozen at peak of freshness, and delivered right to your door! By placing an order through Schwans.com, a portion of the sales will come back in support of Saint Mary School’s E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment). This program funds class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. It’s super easy. Please use the link: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount will go towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day pass for your child the following month. Until further notice, we will not be selling Scripon Friday after school. Please send your orders in on Monday or stop in the copy room by 10:00am. Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689 with questions, or email: email@example.com.
Preschool and Kids CARE:
- Do you have a child who is 4 years old and would like to ATTEND PRESCHOOL FOR FREEor at a substantially lower cost? There are 2 spots left in our St. Mary Preschool for income based scholarships from the Ohio Department of Education. Please contact Angie Eisenacher, our Preschool Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this exciting opportunity!
- Time for McDonald’s High School Team Challenge! Vote at HighSchoolTeamChallenge.com. Schools with the most votes will win McDonald’s Activities Grant to offset activities fees or related expenses! 1st Place: $10,000 2nd Place: $5,000 3rd Place: $2,500. **Fisher Catholic won the 1st place prize a couple years ago – Let’s support our High School! We can do this!
- Fairfield County Fair Workers – Please visit theSignUp Genius site to assist Fisher Catholic with this fundraiser. Fisher Catholic supplies volunteers at each gate to simply take tickets – no selling is involved! This is easy work for which we are paid by the Fairfield County Fair Board.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.