St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
- STUDENTS MUST WEAR PANTS (GIRLS MAY STILL WEAR JUMPERS IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO) AND MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS MUST WEAR TIES EVERY
- Terra Nova testing will take place October 19-23 for all students in grades 2-8. Please try to limit student absence that week and ensure that your child has a full breakfast and gets to bed early so they are prepared for their tests. Thank you!
- PRESCHOOL/RETAKE PICTURE DAY IS OCTOBER 28TH STARTING AT 8:30 IN THE MORNING. Forms are in the office if any student needs one for the retake day. Students must wear school uniforms unless they have earned an out of uniform.
- All students in grades K-8 will go to school Mass every Tuesday, unless otherwise noted on the online school calendar.
From the Office:
- There is an important change to a policy in our school handbook. Under the “Emergency Procedures and Crisis Response” section, please note that our new second relocation site for both school buildings will now be the Knights of Columbus at 343 E. Walnut Street. South School and the Fire House are no longer our second relocation sites. The second relocation site would be used in the event that students and are told to evacuate further than St. Mary Church, which is our primary relocation site. Thank you to Mike Gavin and the Knights of Columbus for securing this secondary location for our school!
- Mrs. Schornack and the faculty are in the process of renewing our school’s accreditation through the Ohio Catholic Schools Accreditation Association. This process takes place in all of our Diocesan schools every five years and allows our school to maintain its charter. Next Wednesday, October 28, the Diocesan internal review team will be at our school for the day to complete the first step in our renewal process. The Copy Room in the main building will be closed to everyone for the day on October 28, as the review team will be working there. The second step in the renewal process, a two-day visit from an external review team, will take place later this school year.
- Please remember to send an excuse note to the office after your child has missed school and contact the school office, 740-654-1632, if your child will not be at school for any reason.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX Buy One, Get One FREE Pizza Sticker Coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- Exciting opportunity from the Preschool!! Two of the preschool parents are offering a mini photo session day on November 1. Each 20 minute session is only $75 and all photos will be yours on a CD. All proceeds will go directly to our Preschool Program. Sign up today as spots are limited!! Contact Lindsy Hinton at email@example.com to reserve your spot today!
- Holiday Happening Raffle
We have passed the half-way point in the raffle. Our current total collected so far is $7835. Congratulations to the drawing winners this week. Sylvia Boyden won the I-tunes gift card and Natalie Boyden won the $25 Target gift card. The Spirit Banner goes to Mrs. Yaple’s 7th grade with $57 per student and 5th grade is close behind with $51 per student. There will be no turn-in day next Wednesday. The turn in days next week will be Monday and Thursday! Good luck selling tickets!
- Holiday Happening will be held Saturday, November 7 from 3:00-8:00pm and Sunday, November 8 from 10:00am-3:00pm!
What is Holiday Happening?
Two days of children’s games, live entertainment, chicken and noodles dinner, children’s raffle, $1000 cash raffle, silent and live auctions, and more!
What is the purpose of the fundraiser?
This is our school’s largest fundraiser to generate funds for the general operating budget of the school, which in turn, keeps tuition at an affordable rate. These funds benefit the entire student population at SMS by funding field trips and enrichment programs (COSI on Wheels, etc.).
Please be supportive of this all-school event. We ask each family to volunteer time accordingly to help make this event successful.
More details to come! If you have questions, please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- Help Wanted – 7th Grade Girls & Boys Basketball Coaches! The girls season consists of 9 regular season games, and tournament play beginning January 30. The boys season has 13 regular season games, and tournament play begins February 6. If you are willing to step up and coach, contact Ms. Cheryl Cale ASAP! There is some paperwork which needs to be completed, and the season is right around the corner!
- Meet the Coaches Night: St. Mary Athletics invites any St. Mary boy or girl in 7th or 8th grade who is interested in playing basketball this winter, and their parents to meet our Head Basketball Coaches for the 2015 – 2016 season. Meet The Coach Night will be held on Wednesday, October 28th at 5:30 pm in the St. Mary School Gymnasium. Please join us to kick off Irish basketball season. GO IRISH!!
- MARY BASKETBALL OPEN GYM:
MONDAY, OCTOBER 26TH
GIRLS @ 3:00 – 4:30PM
BOYS @ 4:30 – 6:00PM
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27TH
BOYS @ 4:30 – 6:00PM
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 28TH
GIRLS @ 3:00 – 5:00PM
MEET THE COACH NIGHT @ 5:30PM
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29TH
8TH GIRLS @ 3:00 – 5:00PM
8TH BOYS @ 4:30 – 6:00PM(TRYOUTS)
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30TH
8TH BOYS @ 4:30 – 6:00PM(TRYOUTS)
From the Cafeteria:
- The Café needs your help! We are looking for donations of 9oz plastic cups for the students use at lunch. Please bring your donations to the school office. Thank you for your help and support!
From Our Parish:
- Love Is Our Mission: A Call to Live the Joy and Mission of Marriage and Family Life. All are invited to one of these four gatherings as The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell discusses the recent World Meeting of Families. Come and discover how you can answer Pope Francis’ call to become a family fully alive! For more information visit colsdioc.org or call 614-241-2560.
- Saturday, October 31st, 10:30 AM, St. Peter, Chillicothe
- Tuesday, November 10th, 7:00 PM, Bishop Ready High School
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be October 24 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Mark your calendars for future dates Nov 21st, Dec 19th, Jan 23rd, Feb 27th, March 19th, April 23rd, May 21st. all starting at 8:00AM. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Mary Parish is pleased to offer a special adult faith education and enrichment series presented by Fr. Ignatius Harrington, a Catholic priest who serves as pastor of two Melkite Greek-Catholic parishes within the diocese. The first two sessions will be held in our Spirit Center and the Divine Liturgy will be prayed in Church. Time: 7:00pm, Dates: Thursdays, October 22, 29. Contact Brian McCauley at the parish office at 740-653-5054 with any questions.
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith. But how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (10/11, 10/25, 12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- IRISH BIDDY BASKETBALL EVALUATION AND SIGN UP
WHEN: October 28th
Girls 4th-6th grade 6:30-7:30
Boys 4th-6th grade 7:30-8:30
WHERE: FC Alumni Gym
We will be registering players and sizing for uniforms at this time
If you have any questions please contact Mark Brady 740-438-5466 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
- Love horses? Want to learn to ride? Horseback riding lessons and equestrian education offered at Mr. and Mrs. Foura’s stables, conveniently located at 267 Rainbow Drive NE, Lancaster. Gentle horses and a very knowledgeable, experienced instructor. Lessons are $40.00 for one hour and $30.00 for one-half hour. Training for your horse also available. Please call 740-654-1367 with questions or to schedule.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.