St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
October 20, 2016
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments/Links in this Issue:
- Per school policy, all tuition accounts must be up to date before progress reports can be released on October 27.
- Monday, October 17-Friday, October 21 – Terra Nova Testing Week grades 2-8.
- Next Wednesday, October 26 – Picture re-takes for grades K-8, Preschool Picture Day, SPIRIT DAY (moved from the end of the week).
- Next Thursday, October 27 – Progress Reports released, Benediction 1:45 pm
- Next Friday, October 28 – All-school Halloween Costume/Casual Day (hosted by the middle school House of St. Francis – see details and costume rules below).
- Please make sure your child dresses for the weather each day and has a school fleece, light jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt on cooler mornings with his/her name inside. A reminder that middle school boys in grades 6-8 must wear ties every day now that shorts are no longer being worn to school.
From the Principal’s Office:
- TERRA NOVA TESTING is wrapping up this week. PLEASE TRY TO LIMIT ABSENCES, TARDY ARRIVALS, AND APPOINTMENTS so that students can focus on testing, particularly in the mornings. A full night of rest and a complete breakfast every morning are very important for the students during testing week. Thank you for support!
- The middle school House of St. Francis will be sponsoring a Halloween costume/casual day on Friday, October 28 for the whole school (Spirit Day will be moved to Wednesday, October 26). Students may come to school in costume or may wear casual dress (wear something orange). Costume rules are as follows:
– No outfits or costumes that are contrary to our Catholic school philosophy (if in doubt, check with your teacher before October 28!)
– Nothing gory, evil, scary, etc
– No clown costumes
– No face paint, hair paint/spray paint, or hair color
– No all-over or extreme face paint
– No weapons of any kind
– No masks or face coverings of any kind
– Nothing shorter than 2 inches above the knee
– No clothing that is mesh, see through, or fish net material
– No tank tops, midriff bearing tops, low cut tops, spaghetti straps, clear straps, or one shoulder straps
– No heels, flip flops, or backless shoes (boots ARE permitted)
– Wigs and hats ARE permitted
- Parent-teacher conferences are schedule for November 10 and 11 this year. Please note that there will be no school for students on November 11 to allow for conference time and Holiday Happening prep. NEW THIS YEAR ~ Click Here to SCHEDULE YOUR CONFERENCE ONLINE . Parents will be able to choose from the 15-min time slots available. We are using sign-up genius to make this process faster, and easier for everyone! Parents of primary students simply select the time that best fits your schedule. Parents of 7th and 8th grade students may elect to meet with more than one teacher at the same time if desired. Remember: Middle School students (6-8) are required to attend the conference with their parent. Looking forward to meeting with you on the 10th or 11th.
- Looking for ways to become more involved with our school on a regular basis and be close to your children? Check out many volunteer opportunities online at: SMS Volunteer.
- Check your child’s bookbag Thursday October 20 for a brochure on the Kinsa Smart Thermometer, download the Kinsa app, create profiles for each family member and then join the St. Mary Community. Kinsa will automatically send you a Smart Thermometer. Our St.Mary Community is up and running! Contact Nurse Debbie with questions.
Home and School:
- Holiday Happening (our school’s largest fundraiser) is just around the corner!We’ve eliminated other product sales (candy, wrapping paper, candles, etc.) over the years and have our fundraiser in just one weekend. This year’s event is Saturday, November 12 from 3-8 pm and Sunday, November 13 from 10 am-3 pm. It’s held in the Main Building in the gymnasium, and we use the second and third floor hallways for games.
We’re in need of parent volunteers to help coordinate the Class Creations for grades 3-8 for the LIVE AUCTION during the finale of Holiday Happening on Sunday at 2 pm. Please contact a Home and School Officer (Eileen Gundelfinger, Alishia Snoke, Gina Fromm, or Ruth Hoch) if you are able to help your child’s teacher.
In order to make Holiday Happening a success, we are asking our parents to donate the following:
Last Names A-G – one dessert pie (or cake) to be sliced/served at the Chicken & Noodle Dinner
Last Names H-M – one regular 12 pack soda + one 2-liter of your choice
Last Names N-S – one Diet 12 pack soda + one 2-liter of your choice
Last Names T-Z – one 24 pack Water + one 2-liter of your choice
(The 12 packs and water will be sold at our Pop/Popcorn Table and the 2-liters will be used in our Ring Toss Game)
ALL FAMILIES – At least one family member fill a 2-hour volunteer time slot on behalf of your child’s grade. Choose your time slot at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0545afaf2aaaf85-20161. As a reminder, you are responsible for your shift.
ALL FAMILIES – HOMEMADE baked goods for the Bake Sale (optional, and kindly appreciated!)
ALL FAMILIES – Silent or Live Auction items (optional, and kindly appreciated!) Drop off at the school office NOW with a slip of paper listing donor name and value of item. Please keep in mind that we are at the mercy of our donors. Solicitation letters have been sent out to the community weeks ago. The majority of auction items come from community partners. No item is too great or too small!!!!
*** Each auction item has a bid sheet with a staring bid amount based on the value of the item. Each person increases each bid for that item until the closing of the Silent Auction on Sunday at 1:45 pm. You do not need to be present to “win” auction items. Everyone must register at the entrance of the Silent Auction to receive an auction number in order to bid at both the Silent and Live Auctions.
CHILDREN’S RAFFLE DONATIONS – TO DATE, WE HAVE PLENTY OF PRIZES FOR THE CHILDREN’S RAFFLE. THANK YOU!
*** This is a raffle, which means that we sell tickets at 25¢ each during Holiday Happening. The parent/ student fills out the back side of each ticket purchased with their name and phone number and places the ticket in the corresponding bag for that item. At 1:30 pm on Sunday, a winner will be selected and notified from each bag for each prize.
MAIN RAFFLE UPDATE – We are off to a great start following the first turn-in day this past Monday. The total for Monday was $1,283.00. Fifth grade collected the most with $268.00. Drawing winners for Subway & Donatos gift cards were Jack Tencza and Taylor Stanton. It doesn’t matter if you sell 20 books or 1 book, you can still win our weekly drawings if you turn in on Mondays! Twenty-three students and 3 teachers have sold $20.00 in tickets to earn the treat made by the Serendipity Sweet Shop. Four students and 2 teachers sold $100.00 worth of tickets and earned casual dress starting on Tuesday of this week. Please do not send students to school dressed out of uniform until we have counted and recorded your raffle money. Teachers will let you know WHEN they are on the casual dress list.
- Do you plan to do online shopping? Please support St. Mary School any time and any place you shop online. Log on to goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity.
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Purchase a card with SIX buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Support Saint Mary School by ordering Schwan’s Home Food Service! Choose from hundreds of high quality products, including USDA choice meats, Grade A vegetables flash frozen at peak of freshness, and delivered right to your door! By placing an order through Schwans.com, a portion of the sales will come back in support of Saint Mary School’s E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment). This program funds class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. It’s super easy. Please use the link: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- Buy gift cards for items you are already going to purchase from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount will go towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day pass for your child the following month. Until further notice, we will not be selling Scrip on Friday after school. Please send your orders in on Monday or stop in the copy room by 10:00 am. Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689 with questions, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preschool and Kids CARE:
- Do you have a child who is 4 years old and would like to ATTEND PRESCHOOL FOR FREE or at a substantially lower cost? There are 2 spots left in our St. Mary Preschool for income based scholarships from the Ohio Department of Education. Please contact Angie Eisenacher, our Preschool Director, at email@example.com for more information about this exciting opportunity!
- Congratulations to Fisher Catholic senior and St. Mary alum, Sydney Frank needs your vote! Sydney has been named the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette Female Athlete of the Week!
- Please support Fisher Catholic High School when you shop at https://smile.amazon.com/. It’s simple. Just designate Fisher Catholic High School as your charity!
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.