St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up-to-date information.
Attachments in this Issue:
- STUDENTS MUST WEAR PANTS (GIRLS MAY STILL WEAR JUMPERS IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO) AND MIDDLE SCHOOL BOYS MUST WEAR TIES EVERY
- NO SCHOOL OCTOBER 15 AND 16! Enjoy the Fair!
- Terra Nova testing will take place October 19-23 for all students in grades 2-8. Please try to limit student absence that week and ensure that your child has a full breakfast and gets to bed early so they are prepared for their tests. Thank you!
- All students in grades K-8 will go to school Mass every Tuesday, unless otherwise noted on the online school calendar.
From the Office:
- There is an important change to a policy in our school handbook. Under the “Emergency Procedures and Crisis Response” section, please note that our new second relocation site for both school buildings will now be the Knights of Columbus at 343 E. Walnut Street. South School and the Fire House are no longer our second relocation sites. The second relocation site would be used in the event that students and are told to evacuate further than St. Mary Church, which is our primary relocation site. Thank you to Mike Gavin and the Knights of Columbus for securing this secondary location for our school!
- Please remember to send an excuse note to the office after your child has missed school and contact the school office, 740-654-1632, if your child will not be at school for any reason.
Home and School:
- Cristy’s Pizza Cards only $25 for SIX Buy One, Get One FREE Pizza Sticker Coupons. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 to purchase. Please make checks payable to Cristy’s Pizza.
- Exciting opportunity from the Preschool!! Two of the preschool parents are offering a mini photo session day on November 1. Each 20 minute session is only $75 and all photos will be yours on a CD. All proceeds will go directly to our Preschool Program. Sign up today as spots are limited!! Contact Lindsy Hinton at email@example.com to reserve your spot today!!
- Holiday Happening Raffle The students are almost a third of the way to our $15,000 goal with $4,982. This week’s drawing winners were 5th grader Ellie Eisenacher for the Subway gift card and 6th grader Brooke Vogel for the i-tunes gift card. The first grade is still in the lead with the most collected so far with $712. Mrs Yaple’s 7th grade has the Spirit Banner for collecting the highest amount per student with $32. Every Monday there is a drawing for tickets turned in that day!
- Holiday Happening will be held Saturday, November 7 from 3:00-8:00pm and Sunday, November 8 from 10:00am-3:00pm!
What is Holiday Happening?
Two days of children’s games, live entertainment, chicken and noodles dinner, children’s raffle, $1000 cash raffle, silent and live auctions, and more!
What is the purpose of the fundraiser?
This is our school’s largest fundraiser to generate funds for the general operating budget of the school, which in turn, keeps tuition at an affordable rate. These funds benefit the entire student population at SMS by funding field trips and enrichment programs (COSI on Wheels, etc.).
Please be supportive of this all-school event. We ask each family to volunteer time accordingly to help make this event successful.
More details to come! If you have questions, please contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063.
- Be sure to check your child’s classroom announcements through your SchoolSpeak account each week!
- Please be prompt when paying your bill. Payments are due each Monday and WILL BE charged a $10 late fee for each week payment is late. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
From the Cafeteria:
- The Café needs your help! We are looking for donations of 9oz plastic cups for the students use at lunch. Please bring your donations to the school office. Thank you for your help and support!
From Our Parish:
- Love Is Our Mission: A Call to Live the Joy and Mission of Marriage and Family Life. All are invited to one of these four gatherings as The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell discusses the recent World Meeting of Families. Come and discover how you can answer Pope Francis’ call to become a family fully alive! For more information visit colsdioc.org or call 614-241-2560.
- Wednesday, October 21st, 7:00 PM, St. Francis DeSales, Newark
- Saturday, October 31st, 10:30 AM, St. Peter, Chillicothe
- Tuesday, November 10th, 7:00 PM, Bishop Ready High School
- The next gathering of Sandwich Saturday will be October 24 at 8:00am in the Spirit Center. Come join us for fellowship while we feed the hungry in our community! Donations are always welcome; white bread, bologna, individually wrapped sliced cheese, and sandwich baggies. Call Alishia Snoke at 740-407-5870 with any questions.
- Mary Parish is pleased to offer a special adult faith education and enrichment series presented by Fr. Ignatius Harrington, a Catholic priest who serves as pastor of two Melkite Greek-Catholic parishes within the diocese. The first two sessions will be held in our Spirit Center and the Divine Liturgy will be prayed in Church. Time: 7:00pm, Dates: Thursdays, October 22, 29. Contact Brian McCauley at the parish office at 740-653-5054 with any questions.
- We might be familiar with different aspects of the Catholic faith. But how does it all fit together? And what difference does it make for our lives? Symbolon: The Catholic Faith Explainedopens up the “big picture” of the Catholic faith in a way that helps us know it, live it and articulate it to others. Symbolon sessions will be held in the Spirit Center from 10:00-11:00am on Sundays (10/11, 10/25, 12/13, 1/17, 1/24, 3/6, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/22). Coffee will be provided. No registration required. All are welcome!
- Fisher Catholic Chili Cook Off and Powder Puff Football Game Sunday, October 18! Cook off 1:00-3:00pm, Powder Puff game 3:15-4:00pm. First 10 entries will be accepted into the cook off! Football games will be on, concessions will be open, and a corn hole tournament will be sponsored by Student Council. Email Kellie Shonk at firstname.lastname@example.org to enter the chili cook off or the corn hole tournament! This event is meant to be a kick off for Homecoming Week and a fun, community building event. This is not a major fundraiser! The funds that are raised will go to the Athletic Department. Please come and join us for a fun day to help build some school spirit for Homecoming Week!
- McKenzie Ortiz, a Junior at Fisher Catholic High School and a graduate of St. Mary School, is collecting used eyeglasses in conjunction with the Lancaster and Tarhe Lions Clubs for her Junior Service Project. Lenscrafters charitable cause “One Sight” will transport all the eyeglasses to the Ohio University College of Optometry, where doctors and students will take them to Lima, Peru for needy adults and children. A collection box for eyeglasses is located outside the school office in the main building for this wonderful cause.
- Love horses? Want to learn to ride? Horseback riding lessons and equestrian education offered at Mr. and Mrs. Foura’s stables, conveniently located at 267 Rainbow Drive NE, Lancaster. Gentle horses and a very knowledgeable, experienced instructor. Lessons are $40.00 for one hour and $30.00 for one-half hour. Training for your horse also available. Please call 740-654-1367 with questions or to schedule.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder News to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.