St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
January 12, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments/Links in this Issue:
- Please ensure that your tuition account is up to date before January 19 in order for your child’s progress report to be released.
- This Sunday, January 15 – Confirmation prep session for St. Mary Parish
- Monday, January 16 – No School (Martin Luther King Day)
- Tuesday, January 17 – Preschool parent meeting 6:00pm
- Wednesday, January 18 – Science Fair (judging will take place from 8:00-11:30am, doors will open for parents and visitors at 12:40pm – please be seated in the gym bleachers for the awards ceremony, parents and visitors may view student projects following the awards ceremony)
- Thursday, January 19 – Progress reports, Spirit Day/White Out for our home games (follow Spirit Day dress code or wear the white out shirt ordered through our basketball team)
From the Principal’s Office:
- Security system update! Our new video monitor doorbell is in place in the primary building and visitors are now able to be buzzed into the primary building from the main office! All new monitors and scanners are in place and working. We have also added additional security cameras and were finally able to put all cameras on one monitor in the office for both buildings. The “lobby” doors in the primary building are still a bit heavy for our young students, so we are working to adjust them before they are closed at all times. Our new “lobby” doors in the main building are in use but we are still adjusting to the new flow of traffic. Eventually the office door that is currently in place will only function as a check-in window, while the older half door off of the office closet will become the entrance/exit for those inside the building.
- Support St. Mary School any time and any place you shop online by going through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designating St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! SIX buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Order Schwan’s Home Food Service, and a portion of the sales will come back to our E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment). This program funds class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. Follow the link to place your order today: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- Purchase gift cards from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount will go towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day pass for your child the following month. To buy your gift cards send your order in to school on Mondays OR stop in the copy room by 10:00am on Mondays. Call Judy McGonagle 740-215-8456 or Amy Conrad 740-438-0689 with questions, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home and School:
- New Spirit Store items available for these cold days! Irish blankets, headbands, and hats! Order yours today! Please email any questions to email@example.com.
- Holiday Happening was another HUGE success. We raised over $37,000.00 (before expenses) during this two day event. Thank you to all of you who volunteered one or more shifts to ensure its success!
- Home and School Officer positions available for Nomination: President and Treasurer , 2- year term beginning this May. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger for more information. E2 Coordinator Assistant position available. Are you talented at introducing and incorporating extracurricular activities to our student body? We are looking for someone to help schedule COSI on Wheels, Art & Clay, Alley Park, and other enrichment activities (to name a few). Please contact Jayne Bryant (E2 Coordinator)or Eileen Gundelfinger.
- Thank you to the Cordle Cares Foundation who awarded St. Mary School $1,000.00 to use towards field trip expenses to expose students to music, physics, environmental science, and theater opportunities.
- VOLUNTEERS ARE FABULOUS!!! St. Mary sign ups for Volunteer opportunities :.https://www.saintmarylancaster.com/volunteer-opportunities/
- 2017 SMS Computer Club! The St. Mary Computer Club will be forming soon. Any student in grades 4-6 who would like to spend some extra time learning about programming and coding is welcome to attend. This year we will be using the Scratch programming platform which will allow us to be able to not only learn new coding techniques, but to also share and collaborate with others. The Computer Club will meet on the following days from 3-4 p.m:
May 2 and
If your student is interested, please have them stop by the computer lab and let Mrs. Corcoran know. We will have to limit the group to 30, due to the number of computers in the lab.
- The St. Mary Boys Basketball teams will host a white out on Thursday, January 19 when they play Harvest Prep at home. T-shirts with the St. Mary Irish logo on the front and a quote on the back will be on sale through 1-13-17 for $10.00 per shirt. Youth and Adult Sizes are available. XXL and XXXL will be an additional $2.50. Even if you decide not to purchase a shirt, we do ask that you and anyone attending the game please do your best to wear white to support the team and make this white out a success! If you do wish to order a shirt please send the following to Miss Cale no later than tomorrow (1-13):
*your name and who to send t-shirts home with (student)
*payment (checks payable to St. Mary Athletics with memo being bball t-shirt)
DISCOUNT ADMISSION RATES…Adults wearing white on 1/19 will be admitted for the student rate ($3) and students wearing white on 1/19 will be admitted for only $1! Go Irish!
From the Parish:
- Calling all women! “Walking with Purpose,” a new women’s ministry at our parish, begins January 19. Please see the attachment for more information!
- 9 Days for Life! Join thousands of Catholics across the country coming together in prayer during the Bishop’s pro-life novena Saturday, January 21-Sunday, January 29. Participate through text, Facebook, or a free app! (www.usccb.org/about/pro-life -activities/january-roe-events/nine-days-of-prayer- penance-and pilgrimage.cfm)
- Men! Make a brand new resolution to join the men already attending “That Man is You” at St. Mary Parish. “That Man is You” men will be available after all Masses the weekends of January 14 and 21 in the main vestibules taking registrations, or register online at www.thatmanisyou.org.
- World Marriage Day Celebration! Heavy hors d’oeuvres and light spirits for all married and engaged couples regardless of faith affiliation. $30.00/couple all inclusive. Saturday, January 28 in the Spirit Center 7:00-10:00pm. DJ Johnny Garber, newlywed games, wedding photos slideshow, and prizes! Contact Eileen Gundelfinger at 740-277-7063 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mark Your Calendars for CAKE BINGO! Sunday, February 19 1:00-3:00pm in the Spirit Center. Cost is $5 per person/ $15 per family (max) which includes unlimited Bingo, pizza, beverages, and snacks. Small raffle prizes available for 25¢ per ticket. This event is open to all community members regardless of school or church affiliation. Please contact Eileen Gundelfinger if you’d like to donate a cake or two or small raffle prizes. This is fun for the whole family!
- Irish 4 Life Pancake Breakfast this Sunday, January 15, 8:30am-1:30pm! Come and support our young people as they raise money for the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. on January 27. Cost is your generous donation!
- Come show off your free throw skills! K of C Free Throw Contest this Sunday, January 15 in the St. Mary gym at 1:00pm for boys and girls ages 9-14. Sponsored by the K of C Council 1016. Contact Dave Anders at 654-4674 with questions.
- FREE Fisher Catholic Football Speed Training every Saturday (starting January 28) for high school AND middle school athletes! See the attachment for more information!
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30pm on Tuesdays.