St. Mary School
Thursday Folder News
March 23, 2017
Visit our website at www.saintmarylancaster.com for up to date information.
Attachments/Links in this Issue:
“Annie” costume information
- Tuition account must be up to date in order for your child’s progress report to be released today!
- Today – Progress Reports released, Preschool “Muffins with Mom” 9:30 AM, Benediction 1:45 PM
- Tomorrow, Friday, March 24 – Registration Forms due, SPIRIT DAY, Mission Bingo for students (after lunch)
- This Friday and Saturday (March 24 and 25) – Don’t miss Fisher Catholic’s spring musical, Wonderful Town featuring many of our St. Mary School alumni! Show begins at 7:30 PM both nights! (See Community News below for more details)
- MARCH 27-31 – NO SCHOOL (SPRING BREAK)
- Wednesday, April 5 – School Penance Service
- Thursday, April 6 – Home and School Meeting 7:00 PM in the copy room
- Friday, April 7 – Living Stations of the Cross presented by our 8th graders 9:00 AM (staff and students will attend) and 7:00 PM in the church
- Flower orders are due by April 13! All proceeds go to our tuition assistance fund!
- Please visit our school Google calendar for all of our school activities this spring!
From the Principal’s Office:
- Congratulations to our middle school students who represented St. Mary at the District Science Fair this past weekend! Ten of our students qualified to advance to the State Science Day at The Ohio State University on May 13, 2017 ~ Emma Albert, Sylvia Boyden, Jonathan Crook, Kate Crow, Taylor Fitch, Leo Gauerke, Paige Gavin, Patrick Kenney, Maureen Murphy, and Luke Sharp. Additionally, Page Gavin received 1st place in District 8 Behavioral Science Award and 1st place from Fairfield Medical, Kate Crow received 2nd place in District 8 Behavioral Science Award and 2nd place in Zoology Award, and six of our seventh grade girls received scholarships for the B-Wiser Camp this summer at Wooster College ~ Sylvia Boyden, Kate Crow, Ava Holbrook, Maureen Murphy, Brooke Vogel, and Allison Welsh. We are so proud of their hard work!
- Congratulations to Matthew McGonagle, Cayden Short, and Ava Albert who represented St. Mary in the Fairfield County Spelling Bee this past weekend! There were 47 students competing this year, and Matthew, Cayden, and Ava were among the 10 finalists, with Matthew finishing in 5th place in District and Ava in 4th place! Way to go!
- Our middle school Spring Musical “Annie” will be performed on Wednesday, April 26 and Friday, April 28 at 7:30 PM. All middle school students will be starring in our production and we look forward to seeing you there! Middle school parents/students, please see the attachment from Mrs. Walsh for details about costumes!
- St. Mary Teacher Association Spring Flower Sale! Orders will be taken from March 20-April 13. All proceeds from the Flower Sale go directly to St. Mary School tuition assistance! See the attachment for information and and order form.
- It’s time to print your Kroger Community Rewards statements. Be sure to list the family name to receive credit on your statement and send to SCRIP. Purchase gift cards from our SCRIP program and a portion of the card amount goes towards your tuition! Buy $200 in SCRIP in one month and earn a casual day for your child the following month. Tuition credit earned through SCRIP for the upcoming school year ends March 31. You can still earn tuition credit for Fisher Catholic High School through your St. Mary SCRIP purchases. SCRIP will be sold on Fridays outside the gym from 2:15-3:00PM through Spring Break for your last minute shopping! SCRIP is looking for a new volunteer for help this summer and for the upcoming school year. Please contact Randi Anderson (740) 407-7870 for more information.
- Support St. Mary School any time/any place you shop online through goodsearch.com or goodshop.com and designate St Mary Catholic Elementary School as your charity!
- Christy’s Pizza Cards for sale! Six buy one get one free sticker coupons for only $25.00! A portion of the proceeds comes back to our school.
- Order Schwan’s Home Food Service and a portion of the sales will come back to our E2 Program (Enlighten and Enrichment) to fund class field trips, COSI on Wheels, and Math, Science, and Art enrichment programs. Follow the link to place your order today: https://www.schwans-cares.com/campaigns/29090.
- Computer Club will be meeting April 4, April 18, May 2 and May 16. Visit the Computer Lab webpage to see some of our projects! The students are working hard and finding ways to program for different challenges each week!
- Library News – Students in grades 3 through 8 have been voting in the Fairfield County District Library’s March Madness Book Tournament. This week we were down to the Final Four: The Lightning Thief versus Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Wonder versus Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Since we will not be in school next week to vote on which book we would choose in the Championship Round, students can easily vote online for their favorite. Simply go to bit.ly/mrchmdns. to cast a vote (adults can vote, too!) or stop in at the library to vote.
- We welcome your interest in becoming a member of the St. Mary School Advisory Board. Terms are for a period of three years, and begin with the June meeting following the election. To be considered eligible, candidates must be a St. Mary Parish member or the parent of a child attending Saint Mary School (grades K-8). Interested individuals are asked to complete the application, available on the school website or in the school or parish offices, and submit it via email to Holly Uhl or to either the school or parish office by April 17th, 2017.
From the Parish:
Lenten Penance Services in our Deanery;
Monday, March 27 – St. Joseph Church, Sugar Grove 7:00PM
Sunday, April 2 – St. Bernadette Church, Lancaster 2:00PM
Sunday, April 9 – St. Mary Church, Bremen 3:00PM
- Fisher Catholic High School presents Wonderful Town THIS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY (March 24 and 25) at 7:30PM. The show is a rollicking tribute to New York, Ohio and football! The winner of 5 Tony awards, including the 1953 award for Best Musical, the FC version is directed by our own Mrs. Walsh with choreography by Mrs. Schornack! The cast is full of St. Mary alumni including Kennedi Christie as Ruth, Emma Tobin as Eileen, Carter Corcoran as Robert Baker, and Robert Hartman as the “Wreck.” Tickets [$10.00 adults, $6.00 students] can be purchased online ~ www.fishercatholic.org ~ or at the doors each night.
- Knights of Columbus Council 1016 Fish Fry, Fridays during Lent and the Friday after Easter, 4:30-7:30PM. Adults $8.00 and children $6.00.
- Mark your calendars for the 36th Annual Fisher Catholic Bid O’Luck Dinner Auction, April 29. This year’s theme is Moonlit Masquerade. Join us for a gourmet meal prepared by Cheers & Lakeside Chalet, a full selection of beverages, and fabulous items in the Silent and Grand Auctions. Raffle tickets will be available to win the Pot-of-Gold prizes (one $7,500 and five $500 payouts). For more information, contact Kellie Shonk at email@example.com, 740-654-1231, or visit www.fishercatholic.org/bid-o-luck.
Please send announcements for the Thursday Folder to the school secretary by 2:30 pm on Tuesdays.